Fast Topic Maker

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
B7u3A

Fast Topic Maker

Post by B7u3A »

Is there any solution to make a button which would popup basic index of forum categories, so you could be anywhere in the forum and you could choose quickly other category to create a new topic in that category? I saw something like that in one forum but it was based on vBulletin and I don't know if it was hardcoded in vBulletin or added function. Anyway, I would like something like this in my phpBB. Anyone who could help? Thanks
QueeenZ

Re: Fast Topic Maker

Post by QueeenZ »

Yes, i saw this on DP Forums as well and it's a great feature and it doesn't come with default vB ;) Anyway, i looked in the mod db and didn't fine it but it's a very easy thing and wouldn't take long to make it.. :) If you're interested, PM me
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

B7u3A wrote:Is there any solution to make a button which would popup basic index of forum categories, so you could be anywhere in the forum and you could choose quickly other category to create a new topic in that category?
You mean like the Jump-to dropdown in the lower-right?
B7u3A

Post by B7u3A »

Brf wrote:
B7u3A wrote:Is there any solution to make a button which would popup basic index of forum categories, so you could be anywhere in the forum and you could choose quickly other category to create a new topic in that category?
You mean like the Jump-to dropdown in the lower-right?
Not exactly, I mean some button in forum menu which would popup all forum categories and if you click on category, it would redirect you immediately to CREATE NEW TOPIC in that category. Is that clear? But I'm open to any opinions and improvements :-)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

So you want a buig complicated mod written to save you one click?
B7u3A

Post by B7u3A »

Not one click, if you can imagine it would be available anywhere in the forum because it would be available from the forum menu, so you can be for example, somewhere in the sub-forum in one category but now you need to jump to other category where you want to make a new topic, so you just click the button to show all categories and one click on that category you want to go to and that's it! you could make new topic in other category by using maybe 2 click instead of min. 3 clicks (1-jump to index, 2-jump to category, 3-create new topic) and we still don't talk about speed of page generating and loading. My forum is very slow because it is on slow server so it drives me crazy to wait for page loading and I can't move it to faster server.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

If you are on the index, you can already see all of the categories, so it is one click to enter a category.
If you are not on the index, you can use the Jump-to to select any category, so it is one click there.
After you enter a forum, it is one click to make a post.

So you are replacing two clicks, with one click -- savings: 1-click.
B7u3A

Post by B7u3A »

Brf wrote:If you are on the index, you can already see all of the categories, so it is one click to enter a category.
If you are not on the index, you can use the Jump-to to select any category, so it is one click there.
After you enter a forum, it is one click to make a post.

So you are replacing two clicks, with one click -- savings: 1-click.
Look, I know it may sound weird but I have some reasons to do some improvements on my forum and I thought this one would be nice, maybe you have fast forum where you don't need any improvements but it's not my case so please don't throw me in the trash due to my ideas :mrgreen: you can still let me know if you have better solutions ;-)
B7u3A

Post by B7u3A »

Can anybody help? Thanks
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

are you seeing a trend here?
what you want to do can already be done by using the jumpbox ( apparently using one more click than you want to use) therefore, no MOD for that has been created and probably won't be.
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”