Sort order of posts

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
sammyd56

Sort order of posts

Post by sammyd56 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:35 pm

Hello there good sirs,

I am trying to find a solution for a client of mine who wants one of the forums to announce events.

He wants the posts to display in chronological order of the date that the event takes place.

I suggest that a mod allowing you to order posts in a forum in another way than date posted would be useful.

If there already is one I apologise for posting here (I did search first but to no avail) but would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Sam

sammyd56

Post by sammyd56 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:48 pm

Opinions? Comments?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:13 pm

I've made a MOD (see the Mod development forum - it's RC , not released yet) with which each member can specify his own sort order (Newest_first or Oldest_first for the whole board).

NOt exactly what you want but it could be adapted so that instead of users choosing a sort order, the admin could choose a sortorder per forum. This would require a new field sort_order in the forums_table, and in viewtopic.php getting the value of the sort_order on a per forumbasis (to use it to sort the posts).

Remark 1: I'm not really interested in making that modification but maybe someone else is.
Remark 2: Why sort the posts - isn't it more logical to sort the topics in that forum?
Last edited by warmweer on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

sammyd56

Post by sammyd56 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:19 pm

sorry i meant topics not posts :)

yeh i know it's not a very interesting idea and wat i want to use this forum for is not really wat phpbb was made 4. i think i'll use an external link to a page seperate from the message board.

the sorting idea is interesting but not really all that useful to me (or many people i would guess - what is the point of having older topics first?).

thanks for your reply,

sam

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:26 pm

You could hard code something for 1 specific forum - sortorder on topic title for example (if topic title is a date - the sort by date, if topic title is tetxt then you'ld have to include the date in topic title - date in format yyyy-mm-dd that is.)

I personally don't like hardcoding so probably the extra page is the easiest and cleanest solution.

Succes
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

sammyd56

Post by sammyd56 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:53 pm

thanks for the suggestion i dont think i'll bother going into that sort of stuff,''external link it is :)

thanks

sam

cybertai

Post by cybertai » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:55 pm

I asked for this once and it works sweet.. here's the link:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”