Allow users to hide certain forums

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Muyz

Allow users to hide certain forums

Post by Muyz »

I cannot use the search on the entire phppBB forum (it responds with a white page :S), so that's why I ask this question here:

Is there a MOD that allows users to hide forums? They could, for example, exclude visibility of certain forums in their profile or something...

eviluncledave

Post by eviluncledave »

If there's something they don't want to see you could always make that forum private and allow your users to "opt-in" through an open group that has the rights to view and post in that forum.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

eviluncledave wrote: If there's something they don't want to see you could always make that forum private and allow your users to "opt-in" through an open group that has the rights to view and post in that forum.

That's actually an excellent idea. It doesn't require any coding at all. Wish I had thought of that before I wrote a bunch of code to do the same thing... ;-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

eviluncledave

Post by eviluncledave »

drathbun wrote: That's actually an excellent idea.

Darn... that blows my quota for the whole year, lol.

Muyz

Post by Muyz »

eviluncledave wrote: If there's something they don't want to see you could always make that forum private and allow your users to "opt-in" through an open group that has the rights to view and post in that forum.
Thanks for this option. It does, however, mean that I would have to make every forum private, meaning that these don't show initially, which is something I do not quite like. I am in favour of the opposite approach: show everything unless people explicitly say that they don't want to see it.

eviluncledave

Post by eviluncledave »

I would think that you would want your users to participate in as many areas of the forum as possible, so you'd only have to block things like NSFW content, etc. I guess it depends on your userbase (mine is small so I prefer to administer viewing rights via groups), but if you don't want to allow the opt-in I would ask drathbun nicely for his code.

:)

Muyz

Post by Muyz »

drathbun wrote:
eviluncledave wrote:If there's something they don't want to see you could always make that forum private and allow your users to "opt-in" through an open group that has the rights to view and post in that forum.

That's actually an excellent idea. It doesn't require any coding at all. Wish I had thought of that before I wrote a bunch of code to do the same thing... ;-)
Following up on eviluncledave's advice...drathbun, are you willing to share your code?

8eightball

Post by 8eightball »

Muyz wrote:
drathbun wrote:
eviluncledave wrote:If there's something they don't want to see you could always make that forum private and allow your users to "opt-in" through an open group that has the rights to view and post in that forum.

Following up on eviluncledave's advice...drathbun, are you willing to share your code?

If you are willing to share it.... sign me up!
please and thank you

Techman

Post by Techman »

With the Auto Group Mod no group moderator intervention is necessary. Normal open groups require the group moderator's permission before members are allowed to join.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”