Mod Request: Fix for Daylight savings time

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Damien

Mod Request: Fix for Daylight savings time

Post by Damien » Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:36 pm

If I were to ask for one mod I'd ask for a daylight savings mod - I don't understand why the phpbb Group fails to support this yet they integrate languages - To be truely international you have to go all the way and account for time as well...

Wert
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Aguilar

Post by Wert » Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:47 pm

Try a search for this topic first ok?

It's been discussed to death.
Chris Aguilar - AKA "Wert"

Damien

Post by Damien » Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:09 pm

Oh I did, and the only fix is to shift the whole board one time zone ahead... A nice work around but hardly a solid fix... If a user looks at thier timezone in thier profile and says wait I live in xxxx time zone not this and then changes it their time will again be off...

I know it's been discussed to death which is why it should be SUPPORTED not ignored.

CSWombat

Post by CSWombat » Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:16 pm

Wombat has spoken ...

Wert
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Aguilar

Post by Wert » Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:22 pm

Try these links for some more info on this.

http://beta.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10989
http://beta.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10041
http://beta.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9680

And the link that csWombat posted has some Mod code I believe....
Chris Aguilar - AKA "Wert"

z00om

Post by z00om » Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:44 am

I can see one reason this isn't necessary:

php gets its time from the server
the server should automatically update for daylight savings/standard time changes..!

AFAIK

rich.foreman

Post by rich.foreman » Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:29 pm

Hey Zoom,

good thinking, but php gets GMT from the server (which does not switch time zones)...

Trust me, my server does DST perfectly, but phpBB does not. I did install a DST hack that was submitted to the mods database ages ago, but has not been approved. I have seen no security risk with it, and it works perfectly...

The users simply go into their profile, and select DST: ON and it adds one hour to their time. Then they select DST: OFF and it removes the extra hour.

This is done on a user by user basis, because not everyone is in the same time zone...
Thanks,

Rich

TheatreTechie

Post by TheatreTechie » Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:23 pm

rich.foreman wrote: Hey Zoom,

good thinking, but php gets GMT from the server (which does not switch time zones)...

Trust me, my server does DST perfectly, but phpBB does not. I did install a DST hack that was submitted to the mods database ages ago, but has not been approved. I have seen no security risk with it, and it works perfectly...

The users simply go into their profile, and select DST: ON and it adds one hour to their time. Then they select DST: OFF and it removes the extra hour.

This is done on a user by user basis, because not everyone is in the same time zone...

Why not do something like that but have a mod depending on where you live so its all autopmatic.

(thought i would beat the dead horse somemore cuase I still dont think there has been a viable solution to y its should be considered dead.)

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer » Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:37 pm

Here's one reason... phpBB has no idea where you live!

Even if you set your timezone, that still gives no indication of when DST begins - as far as I know, countries such as Israel decide the date of DST each year, which further complicates matters.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Mod Request: Fix for Daylight savings time

Post by SamG » Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:52 pm

Damien wrote: If I were to ask for one mod I'd ask for a daylight savings mod - I don't understand why the phpbb Group fails to support this yet they integrate languages - To be truely international you have to go all the way and account for time as well...

I don't understand why people fail to see phpBB as ever a work in progress. There probably isn't one long time phpBBer that doesn't have a list of "should haves," and sometimes you get something from your list in the next release, and sometimes not. But the bottom line is, psoTFX has already said that they may take a look at this for 2.2, and I think we oughta just cut these pople some slack. If somebody can do a viable cross-platform mod, then I think that's great. Let's do it. But an "If I were to ask for a mod" should not be used as a chance to take a unnecessary and unhelpful shot at the developers, in my opinion.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”