Moving Posts

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Ravager

Moving Posts

Post by Ravager » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:27 pm

Hey all,

I'm bit new to this, so please excuse my ignorance. I've got a number of categories set up in my forums and sometimes people will post topics under the wrong heading. Is there any way to move these posts/topics under the correct heading? I've attempted to locate the individual posts in the MySQL database, but the most data I seem to be able to get on the database level is the categories. Is there a way to do this? Something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance. :)

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:36 pm

And what about reading the phpBB documentation, moderation chapter ? :)

nOUzZhYh

Post by nOUzZhYh » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:37 pm

what version of phpbb are you running? in version 2.0.6 as an admin/mod you are able to move specific topic to all other forums of your board by default. use the move button at the bottom left of viewtopic.
Sorry for my sometimes bad english, I'm from Germany and I want to [get] help - hehe!
opus83.com - die Community für "selbstgemachte" Musik.

stlslam

Post by stlslam » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:52 pm

Moving a topic is fairly easy, what about moving a POST to another TOPIC.

nOUzZhYh

Post by nOUzZhYh » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:07 pm

that is not possible, yet, but you can do this manually in you db.
Sorry for my sometimes bad english, I'm from Germany and I want to [get] help - hehe!

stlslam

Post by stlslam » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:09 pm

Anyway you can explain "how to" move them manually in the db?

nOUzZhYh

Post by nOUzZhYh » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:21 pm

open your db via browser, for example with phpMyAdmin etc., click on the table posts than its columns are displayed, change the topic_id if you want to move it only to another topic or the topic_id and the forum_id if you want to move it to a topic in another forum than it is actually in. in the second case ensure that the new topic_id is available in the new forum_id, otherwise you will get an error or you won't see your post. note, that i do not guarantee for anything and you do this on your own risk, but that is the only way

Ravager

Post by Ravager » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanks a bunch everyone, I believe this answered all of my questions. I just didn't see the moderator link at the bottom of the page, its all good now!!! :D

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:09 pm

Wow ! do not play with your db like that. What you want to do if I understand is to split post from their original topic (which is a standard function of phpBB) and in some case add it to another topic (which is covered by simply merge mod).

Updating the db at hand will result in desynchronization of the database regarding various count, and maybe other issues (I'm thinking of polls and votes ie but also tracers).

Gideon5L2F

Split post to another topic

Post by Gideon5L2F » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:21 am

stlslam wrote: Moving a topic is fairly easy, what about moving a POST to another TOPIC.

I would like to add my voice to stlslams request. At present moderators can split a post from a topic and create a new seperate topic. But in the interest of tidy forums I would like to be able to split a post and add it to a different existing topic.

Will this be available in the future?

wirewolf

Post by wirewolf » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:16 pm

Try this:
http://rpgnet.clanmckeen.com/demo/viewtopic.php?t=303
Installed it and it works nicely on phpBB2.0.6
Make sure you follow the instructions carefully, AND always backup any existing file that has to be edited.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”