Mass email notifying users of each announcement

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Mass email notifying users of each announcement

Post by asinshesq »

I've searched here and on phpbb hacks and I find lots of posts asking for this but no real answers...has anyone done a mod that will automatically email all users whenever the admins or moderators post an announcement?
aked

Automatically email new topic to group (or all users)

Post by aked »

Is there a way to email a new posted topic automatically to a group (or all users) so that all messages are archived and can be searched - combining the functionality of a mailing list and a forum?
asinshesq

Re: Automatically email new topic to group (or all users)

Post by asinshesq »

aked wrote: Is there a way to email a new posted topic automatically to a group (or all users) so that all messages are archived and can be searched - combining the functionality of a mailing list and a forum?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. I did something similar as follows:

I did the forum notification mod that allows people to 'subscribe' to a given forum so that they will automatically receive email notification of any new posts. I then tinkered with that mod so that people would have no choice in the matter ... if I as the admin turned on forum notification for a given forum, any new topics would automatically trigger email notification to all members of specified groups (I set things up so that you could, when establishing the group, turn this feature on or off). So, on my board, if I have turned on forum notification for a given forum (e.g. my 'Announcements' forum), then whenever I post a new topic in that forum all members of certain specified groups will automatically get emails notification. All pretty straightforward, but perhaps not what you want.
rbohac

Post by rbohac »

This is exactly what I am looking for, however I don't see the mod listed. How can I access it?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

rbohac wrote: This is exactly what I am looking for, however I don't see the mod listed. How can I access it?

There is no official mod for this. But if you do the forum notification mod, you can then go through and comment out (in the tpl files) the ability to opt out. That will bring you most of the way to where you want to be.

If you want to go the last step, and have the notification only go to specified groups, that's more complex. What I did was to add a column in the groups database for group_notify. If you selected group_notify when editing a given group, it would put a '1' in that column. Then, whenever anyone was added or subtracted from that group, I set things up so that all users in that group would get a '1' in the forum_notify column. Sorry, but I ddin't really keep track of what I did very carefully.
aked

Post by aked »

searching for "Forum Notification" mod on phpbb.com and on phpbbhacks.com was unsuccessful.
Could you supply a link to the location of the mod.
Does this mod send a post to all members?
aked

Post by aked »

could you also send a reply to my email: phpbb@dksy.net
This is a perfect example of when automatic notificatin would be useful!

Thanks
Dave
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

aked wrote: searching for "Forum Notification" mod on phpbb.com and on phpbbhacks.com was unsuccessful.
Could you supply a link to the location of the mod.
Does this mod send a post to all members?

It's at phpbbhacks.com. Here's the link: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=293
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

aked wrote: could you also send a reply to my email: phpbb@dksy.net
This is a perfect example of when automatic notificatin would be useful!

Thanks
Dave

?? The basic unmodded phpbb notifies you about replies to any thread you have posted in unless you actively opt out, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. But I'll email you anyway.
AgentsSka

Re: Mass email notifying users of each announcement

Post by AgentsSka »

Any chance you could document your modifications to this mod.

I am also looking for a way to email new topic notifications in a forum to a prescribed group.

I can apply mods but do not necessarily understand how to modify the code of the mod to achieve what I am looking for.

Thanks for the consideration.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

A thread from the dawn of time!

Actually, I got rid of all those edits a long time ago because I did not like the lack of control it gave me over what posts triggered an email to everyone. In its place, I did a formal mod called "email posts and messages to combinations of groups" that gives the admin or other specifically authorized posters the ability to have a notice of any post emailed out to designated groups. The mod gives the admin (and whoever else is specifically authorized to email out posts) a checkbox option in the posting window to email out the post. If the checkbox is selected, then when the post is submitted a screen comes up allowing the poster to select the group or groups he wants the email to go to. The screen also allows the poster to determine whether the email will include the actual text of the post or just a notification that the post has been made, and it allows the poster to have the email come 'from' the poster or from the regular boad signature. Don't know if that will help you, but search for that if it sounds like it would be of use. (My sig has a link with a list of some of my mods and in that list you will find a link to the topic for that mod.)
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Here's a link to my current email posts or messages to combinations of groups mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=231577

But if you prefer the discontinued version that I described in my 2004 earlier in this topic, I found the post where I actually documented the edits: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 8#p1081498

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”