Need a forum that is Post only

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
toobuku

Need a forum that is Post only

Post by toobuku »

OK here is what I want. I want a forum where anyone can post, but only the mods can see the threads. Heres an example of what i mean. PersonA is a mod and personB is the poster. PersonB wants to complain to the mods about personC but doesnt want PersonC to know about it and doesnt want to use Email. PersonB would post in the special forum (Send a note to the Mods). After posting, personB will still see no threads in the forum. PersonA as a Mod will be able to check the forum and see everything that is posted in it. Is this possible to make? I would much appreciate it.

mosymuis
Name: Rens

Post by mosymuis »

Open
viewtopic.php

Find

Code: Select all

// End session management
//
After, add

if ( $forum_id == X && $userdata['user_level'] == USER )
{
	message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'You shouldn't be here');
}
Where you replace the X for the forum ID where you want to prevent users from viewing topics.

LifeIsPain
Former Team Member

Post by LifeIsPain »

That would still allow for people to see who the last poster was, as well as the subject, unless you change permissions.

Really, the easiest way is to set the forum permissions on view and read to only be the Mods, and let post be either everyone or registered, then you would just place a link somewhere on your board to the new post screen for that forum. Such as, in a forum description, you could add (to post to MOD Requests here):

<a href="http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=17">Post to MOD Requests</a>
LifeIsPain - one who needs to be smackedLife is pain, highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.

mosymuis
Name: Rens

Post by mosymuis »

True, but without any tweaking, you would get this:
Sorry, but only users granted special access can post topics in this forum.

If you change this, posting for normal members in a selected moderator-only forum is possible:

Open
posting.php

Find

if ( !$is_auth[$is_auth_type] )
Replace with

if ( !$is_auth[$is_auth_type] && !($forum_id == X && $userdata['user_level'] == USER && $userdata['session_logged_in']) )
(again, change the X)

LifeIsPain
Former Team Member

Post by LifeIsPain »

No, you only have to set Post to Registered or All, and have everything else private or Mod, and it will work. You can see the Post drop down in the Advanced section of forum permissions.

I personally use this, and I just checked on two default installs other than my main site (that is not default by far) and it is what is needed.
LifeIsPain - one who needs to be smackedLife is pain, highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”