Post Sorting as a Preference?

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
HitDoS

Post Sorting as a Preference?

Post by HitDoS » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:35 pm

Is there a mod that will allow a user to specify, as a preference, how they want posts sorted?

I have seen the ones that are admin related, and affect the forums globally, but was curious if anyone has done anything that would allow a user to specify newest posts on top as a default preference.

Thanks!

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:49 pm

Hi, you might want to have a look at this mod. It reached final stage but was never officially released (and remains unsupported). Basically, every member gets an extra profile field with which he chooses a default sortorder for posts in topics (ASC or DESC only).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

HitDoS

Post by HitDoS » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:11 pm

Sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I will install it this afternoon (at work at the moment) and let you know. Thanks!

Dr. Jonathan Hughes

Post by Dr. Jonathan Hughes » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:45 pm

Hi,

Not good at this and may be misunderstanding but do you mean that there is an Admin function that can be toggled which changes the order across the BB?

This would suit my needs but having looked at the Admin areas, Config, Config+ etc I am still at a loss - am I looking in the wrong place here or is this a MOD?

If it is a MOD then where can I find this one?

Thanks for any direction.

Jonathan

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:49 pm

Dr. Jonathan Hughes wrote: Not good at this and may be misunderstanding but do you mean that there is an Admin function that can be toggled which changes the order across the BB?

Not in my mod, here each user chooses his/her own sorting order... But there is mention of a mod which does this in this post.
I haven't seen that mod though, sorry.

But it shouldn't be that difficult to enhance the mod with an extra admin setting, overriding the user's preference.

Or if you don't wan't the user choice anyway, you could still use part of my mod (changing the sort order to DESC - and don't forget to also change the last post calculation with the $start variable - since ASC or DESC will change the page and position a specific post is on)
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

Dr. Jonathan Hughes

Post by Dr. Jonathan Hughes » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:51 pm

Hi,

Followed through the posts and links that you led me to and will give the code your wrote, (with appropriate emendations from wellwishers), a try this coming weekend.

I'll let you know how the implementation goes ...

Jonathan

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”