E-mail as the username

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
taino211

E-mail as the username

Post by taino211 »

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if a MOD like this exists but what I need is a MOD that requires all of the users to use an e-mail address as the username.

Does this mod already exist?

Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated!

-Ryan Rivas
safeTsurfa
I've Been Banned!

Post by safeTsurfa »

Before you go that way, why would you do such an unpleasant thing to your members? By displaying the member's email address as the username on all their posts, you are making them the victims of spammers, whose mail harvester bots will pick up these details and share them on the spammer network thanks to you. Not exactly a kind or friendly way to treat your board's membership, is it?

Then of course we get into the debate on whether you actually have any right to share personal data of that kind with the world at large, without first obtaining the explicit consent of the user, posting a very clear and prominent warning before sign up advising that you will share their mail addresses everywhere, etc, etc. Your proposal is kind of like me writing a letter to someone who then thinks that my act of writing somehow gives them a "right" to spread my home address all over the place, in defiance of applicable laws on data protection?
safeTsurfa
Need help? First READ THIS
Personal projects: My Mods
taino211

Post by taino211 »

Whoah... slow down there. I guess I should have explained the purpose of this request in my previous post.

The forum I'm building is an internal web site for my company. It's not going to be publicly accessable by anyone (including web robots) except members of our internal LAN. The reason I want this is because managment does not want the employees to use "aliases". They want them to use their real name as the userID. Granted, if I figured out how, I could probably add a note prior to registration, or on the registration page (right beside/under the username field) indicating that you must use your e-mail address as the user ID, but I wanted something that would enforce that since a user who simply ignores this notice might create an "alias" anyway.

Do you guys have any ideas if a MOD like this exists? Or how would I edit the registration page to reflect this need?

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan Rivas
safeTsurfa wrote: Before you go that way, why would you do such an unpleasant thing to your members? By displaying the member's email address as the username on all their posts, you are making them the victims of spammers, whose mail harvester bots will pick up these details and share them on the spammer network thanks to you. Not exactly a kind or friendly way to treat your board's membership, is it?

Then of course we get into the debate on whether you actually have any right to share personal data of that kind with the world at large, without first obtaining the explicit consent of the user, posting a very clear and prominent warning before sign up advising that you will share their mail addresses everywhere, etc, etc. Your proposal is kind of like me writing a letter to someone who then thinks that my act of writing somehow gives them a "right" to spread my home address all over the place, in defiance of applicable laws on data protection?
electronikus

Post by electronikus »

Well, you could use a form validation in javascript that checks the username-field for a correct e-mail adress.

Of course people could still enter fake e-mails which includes all nescessary letters (@, ., com, etcetera) but you won't be able to check that unless you put up all accounts manually and disable registering for your board.

So go check "form validation" if you don't know how to do it, give it a google, you should come up with good results. I also learned it that way.
electronikus

Post by electronikus »

Another option just came to my mind which is probably better: why not leave administrator confirmation "on"? So the admin (I hope there is one) checks the name/email and then allows the user that registered.
Fizzwizz

Post by Fizzwizz »

I'm new to phpBB but I would have thought this to be possible to those familiar with phpBB
I would ommit the username field in the sign up page and have the email address post itself as the username too.

Without knowing the phpBB variables a line similar to

$username = $_post[$email];

in the posted page should do the trick (ie name the username the same as the email.

Then set the forum for email verification and of course switch off the change username feature.

Hope this helps
Never Confused :/
Fizzwizz

Post by Fizzwizz »

electronikus wrote: Well, you could use a form validation in javascript that checks the username-field for a correct e-mail adress.

Eek. Not ugly old javascript in a php script. Why not use a php validation script.

Here's one I prepared earler

Code: Select all

function Validatedetails($var, $type) { 

trim($var); 
        if ($type=="name") { $Pattern = "^[A-Z][c]?[A-Z]?[a-z]+[a-z]$"; } 
     elseif ($type=="email") { $Pattern = "^([0-9a-z]+)([0-9a-z._-]+)@([0-9a-z._-]+)\.([0-9a-z]+)"; }         elseif ($type=="phone") { $Pattern = "^([0-9]{3})-([0-9]{4})-([0-9]{4})"; } 
        $valid=ereg($Pattern, $var); 
        return $valid; 

} # end of Function
Then call the function with

$valid=Validatedetails($email, "email"); 
to validate an email or

$valid=Validatedetails($email, "name"); 
to validate a name. and

$valid=Validatedetails($email, "phone"); 
to validate a phone number

Javascript .... Pah ;)

Best wishes .... Fizz
Never Confused :/
sbrunkow

Post by sbrunkow »

If you had a database of users there is a mod to import csv files. I have used it with success.

Steve

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”