BBcode Private message

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Steel Rat

Post by Steel Rat »

Oh, and one other way I can think of where this might be useful. In a helpdesk environment, if the forum is being used as a ticketing system of sorts. Techs can place notes that the customer sees, alongside notes for a supervisor or admin only.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

You really should upgrade your forums (I assume you've already fixed for the Santy worm)! I hadn't done mine, for much the same reason (many mods, can't even remember which ones!), but I decided to give it a go last night.

All I did was download the "patch" files for 2.0.11, copy the forum to a linux box with shell access, and run "patch"... it was dead easy, and there were only about 4 places that the patch couldn't match up due to mods, and they were easy to fix using the .rej files that patch produces - just like doing another mod, really.

Back on topic though... I might have to give this a go. I've not done any mods for ages though, so don't hold your breath. It's just such a fun idea!
Tribal_Gecko

Post by Tribal_Gecko »

I would be really grateful for anything you could come up with. It would same me a lot of time to not have to worry about PM's or forgetting about them, missing one, ect. Definatly a savior on my end if you can come up with something :P
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

ok, i've created the actual button [priv] [/priv] that shows up in the post.
now all that's left is to find a way to hide the text to a specific user.

:P

*edit* here is where i am doing all my testing, so you can track the progress :)
http://cherokeered.mrikasu.com/board/vi ... .php?p=6#6

*edit 2* - ok, this is getting to be a bit of a heavy MOD, but i'm getting there. if you check the last post now you will see that I have the username displayed and small bit of text (it's a lang var, so easily changed)

There's a fair bit of adding in posting.php - but right now all i'm doing is copying the quote structure. I figure that I can add to that and place the if condition in posting.
Might *Alpha this soon - unless anyone else has got any other ideas :D
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Tribal_Gecko

Post by Tribal_Gecko »

OOh, your a life saver :P. Looking good so far. From what you have, I am guessing that it will show up as a quote, with the private text in it? Or where you just quoting those to test it? Either way is fiune, just curious. Thanks a ton.
stickerboy
Former Team Member

Post by stickerboy »

basically I have used the quote BBcode to create this
i was making sure I didn't break the quote code by quoting the private text :)

i thought it might look a bit better I made it look kind of like the quote BBcode

hopefully I have a decent breakthrough soon :)
stickerboy
Former Team Member

Post by stickerboy »

ok, still not sure how I'm going to hide the text just yet.
I was thinking about working on that before I go for hide to specific username/id
I know there is a HIDE BBcode, but you need to click the text to get it to show. Plus it uses javascript. anyone know of any other MODs that might prove helpful?

p.s. - i've moving this to DEV forum :)
Tribal_Gecko

Post by Tribal_Gecko »

The only mod I have found is the Hide mod that you mentioned above, and I don't think javascript is the way to go on this. Wish I knew more about php to help :? . I searched throug all of the other mods, but did not come up with any other mod that might be helpful. I'll look through some more. phpbbhacks might have one to work with also.
Kinfule

Post by Kinfule »

My Idea about how TEORICALLY this should work

The user writes a bbcode with the username as said before
[privmsg="Username"]Something[privmsg].

For better integration the script should luke the PhpBB_users table and get the ID of the user... (If not when the user changes his/her username the msg wont be shown)

Then... make a switch like (dunno if this variable exist i must look at it later on) the $variable is the user id of the user in the bbcode

Code: Select all

If ($userdata[user_id] == "$id"){ echo "Something";}
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Hmm... it seems that any BB Code MOD released here is required to use the Multiple BB Code Mod - see the comment at this thread

Are you working with this Mod cherokee red?

Oh, and if you've moved to the Dev forum, can you post a link? I couldn't find a thread on this there.
stickerboy
Former Team Member

Post by stickerboy »

Yes, I know about Multi BBcode, but I have not made it compliant as yet.
I was about to put it in Beta, but I had to go to work, just need to finish writing up the post.

Kinfule >> thanks, this is something lilke what we want - basically an "IF" statement based on used id / name :P

Still working on it though :)
Steel Rat

Post by Steel Rat »

Rocketeer wrote: You really should upgrade your forums (I assume you've already fixed for the Santy worm)! I hadn't done mine, for much the same reason (many mods, can't even remember which ones!), but I decided to give it a go last night.

All I did was download the "patch" files for 2.0.11, copy the forum to a linux box with shell access, and run "patch"... it was dead easy, and there were only about 4 places that the patch couldn't match up due to mods, and they were easy to fix using the .rej files that patch produces - just like doing another mod, really.

Hmm, sounds a lot easier than it seemed like it should be. What version did you upgrade from?
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Same as you... 2.0.4, with about 20 different mods including calendar (hideously compicated) and a bunch of BBCode ones.
Steel Rat

Post by Steel Rat »

Rocketeer wrote: Same as you... 2.0.4, with about 20 different mods including calendar (hideously compicated) and a bunch of BBCode ones.

Very cool. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the info!
KI

Post by KI »

What happens if a mod alters a post with [privmsg="Username"]Something[privmsg] elements. If moderators are not allowed to see this kind of message (unless it is directed to them), all privmsg are going to disappear.

Do you know what I mean?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”