Ignore this topic for replies

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
goa103

Ignore this topic for replies

Post by goa103 » Tue May 03, 2005 4:57 pm

Hello,

phpBB has a Watch this topic for replies feature but it doesn't have an Ignore one. It means each time you read the topics from a forum, you have to juggle between the posts you watch, the posts you're interested in, the posts you wanted to ignore, the new posts... a real jungle, a real maze of topics.

An Ignore this topic for replies MOD would allow users to mark topics as Ignored and remove them from the forum topics list, for the user, not for everyone. It would be a great way to improve the forum customization. Technically it also mean the DB will grow as most topics would be ignored. For example when I read the latest topics from a forum, most of the time I only read 5-10% of them, I visually ignore the others for some reasons :
  • Subjects is not explicit : Please help me !.
  • I'm not interested by the subject of the topic.
  • Topic has already been posted a thousand times, but sometimes I take some time to advice the poster to search for existing topics before posting.
Does such a MOD already exist ? I couldn't find anything searching for ignore topics on this forum.
Do you think such a MOD would be useful ?
Do you know of any forum or software that allow users to ignore topics ? For example Microsoft Outlook Express allows users to watch, flag and ignore conversations (phpBB topics).

JM.

blobber

Re: Ignore this topic for replies

Post by blobber » Tue May 03, 2005 5:30 pm

goa103 wrote: Hello,

phpBB has a Watch this topic for replies feature but it doesn't have an Ignore one. It means each time you read the topics from a forum, you have to juggle between the posts you watch, the posts you're interested in, the posts you wanted to ignore, the new posts... a real jungle, a real maze of topics.

An Ignore this topic for replies MOD would allow users to mark topics as Ignored and remove them from the forum topics list, for the user, not for everyone. It would be a great way to improve the forum customization. Technically it also mean the DB will grow as most topics would be ignored. For example when I read the latest topics from a forum, most of the time I only read 5-10% of them, I visually ignore the others for some reasons :
  • Subjects is not explicit : Please help me !.
  • I'm not interested by the subject of the topic.
  • Topic has already been posted a thousand times, but sometimes I take some time to advice the poster to search for existing topics before posting.
Does such a MOD already exist ? I couldn't find anything searching for ignore topics on this forum.
Do you think such a MOD would be useful ?
Do you know of any forum or software that allow users to ignore topics ? For example Microsoft Outlook Express allows users to watch, flag and ignore conversations (phpBB topics).

JM.

That does indeed sound pretty useful, also it's not that complicated to come up with a simple MOD that takes care of that, you'll mainly want to maintain either a separate table that contains those topics that are supposed to be ignored or you simply add a corresponding bollean ignore field to phpBB's topics table if you don't mind to modify phpBB's tables.

I am not aware of any such MOD but I like the idea and I think you should consider making a corresponding feature request for one of the next phpBB releases.
thx,
blobber

goa103

Post by goa103 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:15 am

blobber wrote: That does indeed sound pretty useful, also it's not that complicated to come up with a simple MOD that takes care of that, you'll mainly want to maintain either a separate table that contains those topics that are supposed to be ignored or you simply add a corresponding bollean ignore field to phpBB's topics table if you don't mind to modify phpBB's tables.

Yes technically it's not very hard to develop. However I already have an other MOD to release, I could come out with a prototype in a few weeks but releasing the MOD is something else. For example I would have to add checkboxes before each topics line, add some form to ignore all or only the selected topics, filter the list... Now I'm looking for other solutions to think the design, I'm sure there are already tools and scripts around that support the watch-ignore combo :).
blobber wrote: I am not aware of any such MOD but I like the idea and I think you should consider making a corresponding feature request for one of the next phpBB releases.

Sure but what's the best way to request a feature ? There's no forum for them. The only I can read it's Please do not post feature requests in the forums.

blobber

Post by blobber » Wed May 04, 2005 11:59 pm

goa103 wrote:
blobber wrote:I am not aware of any such MOD but I like the idea and I think you should consider making a corresponding feature request for one of the next phpBB releases.

Sure but what's the best way to request a feature ? There's no forum for them. The only I can read it's Please do not post feature requests in the forums.

Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpBB, there should be a feature tracker somewhere, don't know the direct link, though - or simply go to http://area51.phpBB.com, there's a forwarder to the tracker set up.
thx,
blobber

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”