PHPBB

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
dj2big

PHPBB

Post by dj2big » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:02 pm

I would like to know if they just sell a version with all the mods in already? Instead of wasting time doing the upgrades and mods and all that stuff.

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:52 pm

I don't know about selling, but some site do offer pre-modded versions.

dj2big

Post by dj2big » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:03 pm

I hate upgrading and adding mods taking out mods then makin sure everything works. I would pay for a phpbb version that just does everything i want it to do. Then as mods are added all i have to do is upgrade to the next version and doin one install
Last edited by dj2big on Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomythius

Post by tomythius » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:45 pm

Paying for it really isn't in the spirit of phpbb IMHO.
If phpBB.com started offering pre-modded installs there'd be huge debates about what should be included.
It's probably best to hunt around and see what other sites offer premodded boards.
Or use easymod...
Tom says so, QED.

dj2big

Post by dj2big » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:48 pm

well it should be like a menu pick and choose options

tomythius

Post by tomythius » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:04 pm

You're suggesting that each time someone wants to download a copy of phpBB the server should generate a bespoke version tailored to their whim?
Given the size of the download package and the sheer number of mods and styles I think this is an amazing complicated (and unneccessary) proposition.
Tom says so, QED.

dj2big

Post by dj2big » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:26 pm

I do not think it is. Im sure people like myself who do not really have the time to do mods but do simple upgrades would agree. Its my understanding that phpbb has been around for a while improving and adding things. With all these people on here doing mods and adding this and that to the phpbb system im sure there can be a solution to what can be offered in a marketable version of the phpbb. I love phpbb! No doubt about it. I just wish there were an option to buy a stable version with mods. and even pay a small fees for upgrades. There is never going to be such a thing as a perfect message board there is always room for improvement but the way this is going it will never end which is good as far as I can see but not for someone like me. Im not a pro at this.

Luthig

Post by Luthig » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:03 am

I'm not a pro at this either. In fact, I never have and still don't know php, but in a matter of a few short hours I had a clean phpbb install and modded out. No problems what-so-ever! :D Everything works great and exactly the way I want it to, and it didn't cost me anything...aside from hosting and domain names. Not to mention everyone here has been very helpful to those who have had problems, and offer great advice. You guys are awesome! :D

dj2big

Post by dj2big » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:32 am

I know there help full let me see the link to your site

dj2big

Post by dj2big » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:32 am

YOu must know something. What they help you with? I dont see any help me post in your postings. Or was it a private message help?

Luthig

Post by Luthig » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:41 am

Well, I take that back, I did have a spot of trouble installing the calendar mod last night, only because of a bug in easymod, the fix for it is in the easymod topic. So after restoring my forum and database last night I reinstalled the claendar mod today and works great. I did have to edit some php, only because the photo album mod was fighting over the smilies. I just deleted the code that called the smilies table for the album.

I do know a little HTML, but can't really make heads or tails of php.
And no one helped me with anything. If I had any errors or questions, I'd just browse these forums and find the answers (usually quick and easy fixes).

I'm adding my website to my profile, you can go in and take a look around but please don't register, I'm trying to keep it just a family thing.

dj2big

Post by dj2big » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:47 am

It looks like you know what your doing. I berly now how to use a cpu

dj2big

Post by dj2big » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:38 pm

bump

Merlin Sythove

Re: PHPBB

Post by Merlin Sythove » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:31 am

dj2big wrote: I would like to know if they just sell a version with all the mods in already? Instead of wasting time doing the upgrades and mods and all that stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, most software you download or buy is simply "as is", complete with the features that the maker put in it. End of story. If phpBB fits your needs "as is", fine, if not, go buy something else.

phpBB has however tons of "extra features" that you can pick and choose from, over and above all the other software that you buy and have to accept "as is". These extra's don't cost you any money, all you need to do is be willing to spend like a week of free evenings study in order to figure out how to install a simple MOD, and from then on you're rolling.

So the way I see it, the MODs are bonuses, instead of the way you seem to view it, a DIY kit to assemble the whole software. No, the whole software is phpBB as it installs out of the box :D

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”