Reply Notification Control

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
commanderyoda

Reply Notification Control

Post by commanderyoda »

Presently, each user controls under their "Profile" page whether they want to receive notification of replies to the board. Presently this is pretty much an all or nothing option. I would propose a MOD that would allow greater control of this feature especially for the Administrator.

As the Administrator of my board, I have created a TESTING section deisgned for users to test out various fonts, colors, etc. in order to keep them from doing so on the main forum sections. The problem is if a user presently opts under their Profile page to receive notification of new replies, they will receive notifications every time somebody tests out a new font or color in the testing section! Those doing the testing may not always "want" their attempts broadcasted to the entire board and I doubt the entire board wants such notifications either!

So I'm proposing a MOD that will allow the Administrator the ability to turn off automatic notification for this or any particular section of the board.

I attempted to see if such a MOD existed and could not find one exclusive to this feature. A senior member by the name of "Geocator" suggested I post the request here, as he too indicated that he had never seen such a MOD either. I hope I have explained this fairly well at least, and I will be willing to exchange thoughts with anyone wishing to undertake this MOD. I think many others could also think of applications for such a MOD as well, so it is not something exclusive for just my unique use. I'm presently running an un-MOD'ed Sub-Silver board.

DKing

Post by DKing »

Why not just use the link under the post that says "Watch Topic for Replies" instead of the option in the Profile?
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search

commanderyoda

Post by commanderyoda »

That might seem to be one way of addressing the issue for sure. However, every single person on the board then has to opt to utilize "that" feature in lieu of the feature under the Profile section.

Greater control (and privacy) could be obtained if the Administrator could determine the ability to receive notification of replies for a given section of the board. Allowing him/her to determine this feature can actually be the more desirable method of approach.

DKing

Post by DKing »

Ok, I see what you're saying. But I don't have the time to do that MOD. I hope someone does it though. It may actually become useful for me too! :D
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search

commanderyoda

Post by commanderyoda »

I agree . . .

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”