Password sent back by phpBB in welcome email

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
dropd@usa.com

Password sent back by phpBB in welcome email

Post by dropd@usa.com »

Is this really necessary?

It is such a security risk. It can easily compromise user's passwords either in email intercepts or just by someone reading over you shoulder.

Are passwords properly stored in the database? Via one-way encryption?
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Passwords must be sent via email or the user can't login (if they forgotten the password and don't have the email anymore). It's not a security threat either. It's sent to the users email directly and no one else. And the chances of someone reading over your shoulder just to get your password is pretty slim... (and I mean confiscating it)

Also, passwords are MD5 hashed, and they can't be undone. It's that simple.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
dropd@usa.com

Post by dropd@usa.com »

ScionCrow wrote: Passwords must be sent via email or the user can't login (if they forgotten the password and don't have the email anymore). It's not a security threat either. It's sent to the users email directly and no one else. And the chances of someone reading over your shoulder just to get your password is pretty slim... (and I mean confiscating it)

Also, passwords are MD5 hashed, and they can't be undone. It's that simple.

Usually sites send a random temporary password via email and require the user to switch at first login. Actually (I just learned), phpBB does exactly that with forgotten passwords. Besides email intercepts not being that difficult, the "someone looking over your shoulder scenario" is not far fetched at all. It is a very real possibility in labs and Internet cafés.

It becomes a problem if the users selects an initial password they already use for other confidential purposes like banking, e-commerce or even email.
But it looks to me that you already have the solution, just use the forgotten password procedure in the first go.

Thanks for the clarification on the password storage.
alex_wedge

Re: Password sent back by phpBB in welcome email

Post by alex_wedge »

This is a very, very old thread, I know, but it seems to me that this is still an issue. Anyone sitting in a shared space or using a shared mailbox is put at risk by mailing passwords with no warning, and even in my own home with my own personal address, it irritates me when sites do this to me.

I've seen this complaint about phpBB over and over, and the standard response always seems to be "don't be such a security nut, it doesn't matter, nobody cares, go edit your templates if it really bothers you." I don't think that's a reasonable answer, when a proper solution is so very easy to implement.

For a phpBB installation at work, I've now added an Administration Panel configuration option to suppress the password in registration and re-activation confirmation emails (but not, of course, forgotten password emails -- that would defeat the point). If people are interested, I'd be happy to post my code changes; they're fairly minor. The most troublesome part would be modifying all the style templates to include the extra field in the admin/board_config template.
alex_wedge

Re: Password sent back by phpBB in welcome email

Post by alex_wedge »

Here are my changes, by request. Each block of changes is framed with one unchanged line for search context, and my file versions (from the header) are listed. I believe this is based on a stock install of phpBB v2.0.22.

To set the initial value, you must also run this SQL statement on your phpBB database once, since the control panel only handles configuration values already defined in the config table:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO {{CONFIG_TABLE}} (config_name,config_value) VALUES ('email_password',1)
Ours being a stock install, we only have the English language pack and the subSilver visual template installed, so these changes cover only those files; the core functionality will work with just the other changes, but to be able to see the option in the admin control panel when using a different language or template, similar changes must be made in the relevant language and template files.

admin/admin_board.php (v1.51.2.16)

$allow_autologin_no = (!$new['allow_autologin']) ? 'checked="checked"' : '';
/*add*/ $email_password_yes = ( $new['email_password'] ) ? "checked=\"checked\"" : "";
/*add*/ $email_password_no = ( !$new['email_password'] ) ? "checked=\"checked\"" : "";
$board_email_form_yes = ( $new['board_email_form'] ) ? "checked=\"checked\"" : "";

"L_AUTOLOGIN_TIME_EXPLAIN" => $lang['Autologin_time_explain'],
/*add*/ "L_EMAIL_PASSWORD" => $lang['Email_password'],
/*add*/ "L_EMAIL_PASSWORD_EXPLAIN" => $lang['Email_password_explain'],
"L_COOKIE_SETTINGS" => $lang['Cookie_settings'],

'AUTOLOGIN_TIME' => (int) $new['max_autologin_time'],
/*add*/ 'EMAIL_PASSWORD_YES' => $email_password_yes,
/*add*/ 'EMAIL_PASSWORD_NO' => $email_password_no,
"BOARD_EMAIL_FORM_ENABLE" => $board_email_form_yes,
[/size]

includes/usercp_activate.php (v1.6.2.9)

'USERNAME' => $row['username'],
/*rem*/ // 'PASSWORD' => $password_confirm,
/*add*/ 'PASSWORD' => (isset($board_config['email_password']) && !$board_config['email_password']) ? '(suppressed)' : $password_confirm,
'EMAIL_SIG' => (!empty($board_config['board_email_sig'])) ? str_replace('<br />', "\n", "-- \n" . $board_config['board_email_sig']) : '')
[/size]

includes/usercp_register.php (v1.20.2.78) (same block of code in two places)

'USERNAME' => preg_replace($unhtml_specialchars_match, $unhtml_specialchars_replace, substr(str_replace("\'", "'", $username), 0, 25)),
/*add*/ 'PASSWORD' => (isset($board_config['email_password']) && !$board_config['email_password']) ? '(suppressed)' : $password_confirm,
'EMAIL_SIG' => str_replace('<br />', "\n", "-- \n" . $board_config['board_email_sig']),

'USERNAME' => preg_replace($unhtml_specialchars_match, $unhtml_specialchars_replace, substr(str_replace("\'", "'", $username), 0, 25)),
'EMAIL_SIG' => str_replace('<br />', "\n", "-- \n" . $board_config['board_email_sig']),
[/size]

language/lang_english/lang_admin.php (v1.35.2.17)

$lang['Search_Flood_Interval_explain'] = 'Number of seconds a user must wait between search requests';
/*add*/ $lang['Email_password'] = 'Send Passwords by Email';
/*add*/ $lang['Email_password_explain'] = 'Controls whether passwords are printed in plain text in user registration and password change confirmation emails';
// Forum Management
[/size]

templates/subSilver/admin/board_config_body.tpl

<td class="row2"><input type="radio" name="allow_autologin" value="1" {ALLOW_AUTOLOGIN_YES} />{L_YES}&nbsp; &nbsp;<input type="radio" name="allow_autologin" value="0" {ALLOW_AUTOLOGIN_NO} />{L_NO}</td>
</tr>
<!--add--> <tr>
<!--add--> <td class="row1">{L_EMAIL_PASSWORD} <br /><span class="gensmall">{L_EMAIL_PASSWORD_EXPLAIN}</span></td>
<!--add--> <td class="row2"><input type="radio" name="email_password" value="1" {EMAIL_PASSWORD_YES} />{L_YES}&nbsp; &nbsp;<input type="radio" name="email_password" value="0" {EMAIL_PASSWORD_NO} />{L_NO}</td>
<!--add--> </tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_AUTOLOGIN_TIME} <br /><span class="gensmall">{L_AUTOLOGIN_TIME_EXPLAIN}</span></td>
[/size]

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”