Suggestion: Easy Button to De-Spam

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

Dave Bean wrote: Thanks - I started a discussion on your board in the general chat section with my 4 suggestions to minimize spam.

no problem, saw it and replied with some answers and lists with anti-spam available.

I'd love to analyse your board to see what I can do to reduce spam where the other methods/mods you use fail.

Ramon
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

I wish "Report Posts" - http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... &start=315 actually allowed you to do the functions it mentions, including delete users, their posts, etc.

But it doesn't!

Instead I use this mod: Admin delete user with all postings (from profile_view) by Sergei Sekirin - I uploaded a fixed/modded copy here: http://www.hm2k.org/files/admin_delete_user.zip
matt_kruse

Post by matt_kruse »

In my search for ways to manage the spam on my support forums, I found this thread. This is exactly the kind of feature I was thinking of to make my life easier. I get 10-30 junk messages a day so managing it by hand is possible, but annoying, and restricting user access and other more involved methods are over-kill.

I hope no one is already working on this, because I am going to.

I plan to put a "SPAM" button in two places - on an individual post and in the topic search list (because I most often search for new posts to respond to and can recognize 99% of spam from there).

When I click the SPAM button, it will do the following, without the need for me to confirm:
- Delete the post/thread
- Delete the user's account
- Delete all other posts by the user
- Ban their IP from the board
- Delete all other posts from the same IP
- Delete all other users who have posted/registered from the same IP
- Delete all other posts with the same subject (for new threads)

I don't know much about the phpbb internals, but it doesn't look very complicated. I don't know how much of this is possible or how complex it will be, but it's definitely something I'm going to work on.

If anyone else finds or builds a similar solution before I do, please let me know so I can stop wasting my time on it ;)

Thanks!
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

matt_kruse wrote: In my search for ways to manage the spam on my support forums, I found this thread. This is exactly the kind of feature I was thinking of to make my life easier. I get 10-30 junk messages a day so managing it by hand is possible, but annoying, and restricting user access and other more involved methods are over-kill.

I hope no one is already working on this, because I am going to.

I plan to put a "SPAM" button in two places - on an individual post and in the topic search list (because I most often search for new posts to respond to and can recognize 99% of spam from there).

When I click the SPAM button, it will do the following, without the need for me to confirm:
- Delete the post/thread
- Delete the user's account
- Delete all other posts by the user
- Ban their IP from the board
- Delete all other posts from the same IP
- Delete all other users who have posted/registered from the same IP
- Delete all other posts with the same subject (for new threads)

I don't know much about the phpbb internals, but it doesn't look very complicated. I don't know how much of this is possible or how complex it will be, but it's definitely something I'm going to work on.

If anyone else finds or builds a similar solution before I do, please let me know so I can stop wasting my time on it ;)

Thanks!

This is the best I could come up with... http://www.hm2k.org/files/admin_delete_user.zip
Jackanape
Name: Jack Drury

Post by Jackanape »

I've been encountering a probably not-so-unique issue:

We run contests and tournaments through my forums, and members buy their way into them by earning chips, mostly by posting.

I know you all know where this is going...

So, the issue we're encountering is a bunch of people siging up, posting a flood of long"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" posts, ad infinitum, braking up the tables, etc. Trying to quickly obtain their entry before they're caught.

Than, I have to go through and delete each post separately--they like to post in reply to topics, so I can't just delete the topic--deactivate the user--so I can go back and check out the IP, and to slow them down fro reregistering with the same email address--and follow up there.

To be able to click on a one button solution is a brilliant idea, and I hope it doesn't die here.

I'll look at admin_delete_user. It may have everything we need in it--although I'd rather deactivate the user with the function first. Unless there's already been headway made here?
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit
: : Wanna Talk Poker? : : Image : :
matt_kruse

Post by matt_kruse »

I haven't written a mod yet, and I have come across a few which do things similar to what I was intending to do.

But in the mean time, I did do these things, which has helped me quite a bit:

1) Turn of anonymous posting. I _really_ didn't want to do this, but for now I needed to.

2) Edit the files so there is no confirmation page for "delete topic" or "delete post". Makes maintenance faster.

3) Wrote this bookmarklet:

javascript:as=document.getElementsByTagName('A');for(var i=0;i<as.length;i++){res=as.href.match(/sid=([^\&]+)/);if(res!=null){sid=res[1];}res=as.href.match(/(.+)viewtopic.php\?t=(\d+)/);if(res!=null){as.parentNode.innerHTML+=%22 [ <a href=\%22%22+res[1]+%22modcp.php?mode=delete&t=%22+res[2]+%22&sid=%22+sid+%22\%22 target=\%22_blank\%22>delete topic</a> ]%22;}};void(x=1);

In the "all new posts" view, it simply adds a [delete topic] link to each thread. Now I can quickly scan the new posts and delete spam threads with one ctrl-click (in firefox, which opens the results in a new tab). I can clean up 100 spam posts in 2 minutes. Of course, cleaning up spam replies isn't so easy.

For now, this has made my life easier. Until I have time to write an all-inclusive spam-killer, this as worked well...
Angelaaa

Post by Angelaaa »

What I am looking for is something that will put a check box next to a member's name when you click on the membership list to where we can place a check mark next to those memberships we wish to delete. And only the site admin would have access to this...

Is there anything out there like that?

Thanks,

Angela :wink:
Trying to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says, "Oh crap she's up!"
Jackanape

Post by Jackanape »

Look up admin userlist in the mod release sections...does what you need.
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit
Angelaaa

Post by Angelaaa »

Jackanape wrote: Look up admin userlist in the mod release sections...does what you need.

I have already been looking in there and I can't find anything that comes close to what I'm looking for...

Oh well,

Angela :D
Trying to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says, "Oh crap she's up!"
Jackanape

Post by Jackanape »

http://david.smigit.com/mdd/

It's about 8 selections down. "Admin Userlist" .

This does PRECISELY what you describe. I use it all the time for just such instances.

I actually should always have been part of phpBB's main code, I don't know why it wasn't...
Angelaaa

Post by Angelaaa »

So this one will put a check box next to a users name so that if I want to delete them all I have to do is check-mark it and push a delete button? Will it allow me to delete multiple users at once or do I have to actually copy and paste their user name to do it?

I found the mod but it was very vague as to what all it will accomplish and I don't want to download it if it does not do precisely what I am looking for... know what I mean?

Thanks,

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

Hi Angelaaa,
Angelaaa wrote: What I am looking for is something that will put a check box next to a member's name when you click on the membership list to where we can place a check mark next to those memberships we wish to delete. And only the site admin would have access to this...

Is there anything out there like that?

Thanks,

This MOD may be for you:
  • [2.0.21] User Shield
[/url]

There is also these threads discussing ways to combat spam:
  • Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans
[/url]
  • Anti-Spam Thread!
[/url]

Let me know,
Wolf
mogster

Post by mogster »

I've got spammed with 46 posts linking to a picture of a panda.

I'm having to delete them manually.

If only invision was free :'(
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

spambots try to login with email adresses like:
xhfg@jfkd.com .info or .net

most at the time combinations of letters...

I think you can prevent this by a automatic blokking on .com .info and .net
or whatever email host you want...

now we must ban manual *@jfhf.com instead as *@*.com wich is much better to add a banned mailhost

Mack
You do NOT choose Silat...
Silat chooses YOU !!!

Pencak Silat Pamor Badai
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Mackenzie, that would stop anybody with a .com from signing up 8O
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”