Logging message or topic read status per user

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
mverrilli

Logging message or topic read status per user

Post by mverrilli »

I'm putting together a new forum for an online game. Other players in the game on opposing sides are cheating by spying on our forums. I would like to log when a user reads a message for the first time or at the very least log which topics they read and when.

Everyone on the forum (except for the spy, I'm sure) agrees to this levelling of logging, so privacy isn't much of a concern.

Is there already a way to do this? Or would it require some mod? I have looked through the mod database a few times already and the closest thing I found was the Log Action mod for moderator actions.

Any ideas?
Peter VDD

Post by Peter VDD »

there is a mod that does it, "who viewed this topic". I'm not sure it's hosted on this site, but it exists, I've seen it before on many sites.

But I have to warn you: there are many ways to circumvent this, one is that they can use a program to download your entire forum before they start playing, if it's about static information. That's not fun for you, as it will cost you loads of bandwith. If everyone starts doing this, you are in serious trouble. Just a thing to consider on forehand. ;)
mverrilli

Post by mverrilli »

Peter VDD wrote: there is a mod that does it, "who viewed this topic".

That sounds vaguely familiar. I'll look for it.
Peter VDD wrote: one is that they can use a program to download your entire forum before they start playing, if it's about static information.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of any programs to do that. It isn't static info, it's mostly the up to date stuff like tactical plans, strategy, and other general coordination that is time sensitive. I wonder if there is a way to prevent a program from doing this (like max number of posts read per minute limitations). Even if they do this, wouldn't it be using the same mechanism to get the message, so it would log it as viewed?
Peter VDD

Post by Peter VDD »

Well... can't you just ban them at the start of each game, and unban at the end? :)

Anyway, when it is info that is only released during play then those programs are not much of a worry. Since they just make a static html copy of the board as it now is, and do not get the updates.

However, other ways to prevent this is making new accounts or guest viewing if it's not a privat forum, and if it is a private forum you can just deny those users acces for a certain while.
RosieRed

Post by RosieRed »

Couldn't you handle this through usergroups and forum and usergroup permissions?

Eh, never mind. I'm probably just repeating, in different words, what the poster above me said.
mverrilli

Post by mverrilli »

I would ban them if I knew WHO they were. The only way I can figure is to know who read which topics and compare it to obvious information leaks. We are talking about a few hundred users on the same team. It's easy to spy, the spy might even be on our team.

The game is a long running strategy game with no short-term end.

Obviously this is a slipperly slope if not kept in perspective. I wouldn't just ban people because they read a topic I know for a fact was leaked (sometimes they taunt us by sending us a copy of our own plans verbatim, so we know for sure that there was a spy).

So... I guess the whole point is... it isn't about deleting spies. I can do that. It's about trying to find them. :)

Thanks for the posts, guys. The "Who Viewed This Topic" is perfect. That mixed with some IP loggers... and I think I'm set with some help at least.
Peter VDD

Post by Peter VDD »

If you want to catch them, be sure to remove the icon from viewtopic_body.tpl that the mod adds. Else everyone can see you installed this. :wink:

Enjoy!
mverrilli

Post by mverrilli »

Peter VDD wrote: If you want to catch them, be sure to remove the icon from viewtopic_body.tpl that the mod adds. Else everyone can see you installed this. :wink:

Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually there is a mod to that mod in the optional directory. It makes it so that only admins and mods can see the icon. Works well.

I also found that one of the mods I found for ip logging... didn't work. "Enhanced IP Logger" But I managed to fix the code so that it'll work with 2.0.20. I emailed the code changes to the guy who wrote it, but it was written 3 years ago, so I'm not sure if he'll put it online.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”