good post / bad post - ajaxed minimise bad posts

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
sickmusic

good post / bad post - ajaxed minimise bad posts

Post by sickmusic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:49 pm

Hi all,

I've been looking at diggs feature where members can rate posts as good or bad.

If a post has had a set number of bad ratings, then the post is greyed out & minimised, with an ajaxed link that opens up the post.

On my phpbb community, I do have people going way off topic, and pretty much killing topics with out of place remarks.

This would be a wonderful feature if it could be implemented in phpbb.

I've been playing about with phpbb for a few years now, I know bits and pieces of php, mysql, basic javascript (no ajax).

I'd appreciate it if a few technical members would provide a quick brainstorm of what would be involved in implementing such a mod.

sickmusic

Post by sickmusic » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:51 am

Database Modification

phpbb_rank_rankers

Code: Select all

post_id - mediumint(8)
rank_user_id - mediumint(8)
rank_option_id - tinyint(1)
rank_user_ip - char(8)
phpbb_rank_results

Code: Select all

post_id - mediumint(8)
rank_result int(11)
Comments
I think the above should be a good enough DB mod to serve this purpouse. Please feel free to comment.

Using baby steps the following is what I need to know for the time being about the way phpbb works:

- where does the SQL that retrieves topic & post information for viewtopic reside? I'm more interested in retrieving the data in the above tables. How is this data stored (Array?)?

- in view topic, where the posts are being displayed, I need a where clause in the SQL which checks the rank_result value. Depending if the value is below -5, should the SQL retrieve the post records and let the template decide whether to display it OR should only the header info (post author, rank be retrieved by the SQL - which means an extra SELECT has to be run if the user decides to read the post..)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”