[Request] Wiki for phpBB

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Sl@_o

Wiki diferent idea

Post by Sl@_o » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:51 pm

What you think about deferent idea:
Wiki as BBCode for exampel

[wiki]
||table||one||two||
[/wiki]

In this way iki could work proply because ony when wiki is needed :)
;)

HostingGeek

Post by HostingGeek » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:52 pm

A doc mod would be nicer made for phpbb that uses bbcode...

HaveFun

Post by HaveFun » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:28 am

I had the same idea, and found this forum by google, while i searched for a "wiki-mod fo phpbb" ;)

I could imaging a feature, so that a User can decide on posting a new thread, which mode the thread could have. He can post as a normal forum-thread, or as an wiki-articel. When choosing the wiki-mode, everyone can edit the initial-posting, and you have the feature like Media-Wiki.
Answers could be displayed as "comments/diskussion".

I know: this is not a simple mod, and i'm not able to code this ... but perhaps someone knows already a mod doing something like this?
Svyatozar worte in 2003 wrote: I am already working on a wiki-mod for phpBB

Did you published anything in the meantime?

Svyatozar

Post by Svyatozar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:55 am

HaveFun wrote:
Svyatozar worte in 2003 wrote:I am already working on a wiki-mod for phpBB

Did you published anything in the meantime?

No, the idea was abandoned at an early stage of planning. The complexity of the task was agreed to be unreasonable. Coping with that while catching up with constantly changing interfaces of internal functions in phpBB would be an enormous task. Maybe in the future the situation will change, but I now have other projects going on...

Best regards,

Svyatozar

HaveFun

Post by HaveFun » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:35 am

THX for your reply, Svyatozar.

If you or anyone other knows an alternative project, which combines wiki and forum, please let me know.

Quezza

Post by Quezza » Sun May 14, 2006 6:07 pm

I am developing just this kind of mod! It is stable, bug free (as far as I know) and it has been tested extensively.

See THIS TOPIC for details.

Regards, Luke

kyleabaker

Post by kyleabaker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:20 am

@Quezza
That link leads to a mod that is completely _NOT_ related to anything that has to do with integrating wiki into a phpBB forum.

@All
Has any found a suitable mod for this yet? I saw one forum where a guys started making one, but he quit halfway through the developmental process. I'm really suprised that someone has not already developed this mod! I wish I knew more about creating mods for phpBB, but I'm not good enough just yet to make a wiki, haha.

Some one with the skills....please step up to the challenge so we can all benefit! I think a wiki addon would be perfect for my site! I hope I don't have to just accept using a normal open-to-all wiki. It would take away soem from my site.

Thanks in advanced to anyone will to contribute here!

Hopefully something will stirrup soon!

Quezza

Post by Quezza » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:10 am

The link should go to:; http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=383529 But the download link doesn't work anymore.

broodle

Post by broodle » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:25 pm

how about instead of a bbcode that just links to a wiki page there is a bbcode that embeds the text of the wiki page within the post? Then also perhaps a link to the wiki page so you can go there if you want to edit it. This way you can keep the logic of the wiki on the wiki site but you can view the wiki from your forum posts. This may be an integration nightmare... but I'm not certain... perhaps if it was just done for some of the major wiki players, namely MediaWiki.

The reason I thought of this is, prior to our adoption of MediaWiki as a tool for storing documentation, we kept it in forum posts. We had a group moderating the forum and it worked "kind of" well for collaborative authoring except we weren't able to keep track of who made certain changes and we didn't have a revision history. At one point we had someone leave our organization on a bad note and in revenge deleted a whole post basically with lots of useful information. Fortunately we had a backup. MediaWiki has given us a better tool for keeping track of revisions, however our community still uses the forums to find information and communicate on a regular basis. An integration between the two would be ideal.

I've read through this post and I saw the philosophical discussion on "one tool for one task" and I don't know how completely legitimate that is... but it seems that with the complexity involved with a good robust Wiki tool, it would be difficult to completely redo the code into phpbb. That is why I suggest a mod that embeds the text with a post. Updates can be done on the Wiki in an easy fashion and they are updated on the forums through the integration. Thoughts?

Wicher

Post by Wicher » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:24 pm

Why not download lexicon? it comes as a kind a compleet wiki for phpbb

http://www.amigalink.de/phpbb2/lexicon.php

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:11 pm

If anyone is interested, I have have created a mediawiki auth module that lets Mediawiki use the phpBB userbase.

If anyone is interested, PM me.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

broodle

Re: [Request] Wiki for phpBB

Post by broodle » Thu May 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Bump! I'm still looking for some sort of integration mod that allows you to embed wiki articles into forum posts... if anyone has any news on this, I'd sure like to hear it.

armsch9

Post by armsch9 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:02 am

I think that this is a fantastic idea, and is exactly what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately I don't have the programming skills to make it happen, so if anybody is going to do this they'd certainly get my vote. It's easy to download wiki code off the net, but how do I make the members, the login, the logout, etc. universal for BOTH the wiki and the forums?

armsch9

Post by armsch9 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:59 am

I've 'sort of' done it now, if you're interested and bashing your head against the wall like I was, take a look at my site (http://bottleweb.org) and if you like the way i've done it let me know i'll tell you what I know...

Wicher

Post by Wicher » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:20 pm

That realy looks nice, you should put that into a mod so every body can use it.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”