Append a Header to Post Showing Post's "Topic"

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
ShadowCat13

Append a Header to Post Showing Post's "Topic"

Post by ShadowCat13 »

On my forum, I have one category that is for news items posted by myself or my moderators (not a usergroup). Visitors can read and reply, but they cannot initiate a new post in this particular category.

What I am looking for is something that would enable me to select a header for the topic - something like "Astronomy", "Sports", "Religion", "Iraq War", etc. and have it displayed automatically at the top of the post itself as "TOPIC: Astronomy" or something like that.

The post, then, would look like this to anyone who viewed it (example being an "Astronomy" category/topic):
TOPIC: Atronomy

The solar system has 12 planets.

That is the conclusion, to be announced today, of an international panel formed to devise a scientific definition of a planet and settle an increasingly intense dispute over whether Pluto qualifies. The panel suggests retaining Pluto and immediately adding three new planets to the nine that are familiar to any schoolchild: Ceres, currently considered a large asteroid; Charon, now considered a moon of Pluto; and Xena, a recently discovered object that is larger than Pluto.

But the group's proposal also makes clear that many more objects in the solar system -- perhaps dozens of them -- could qualify as planets after further study.

The new definition has been approved by the executive committee of the International Astronomical Union , and a vote of the union's general assembly is scheduled for Aug. 24 at a conference underway in Prague. If it is approved, which several astronomers said seems likely, the world's textbooks and museum displays would have to be updated -- not to mention solar system models, posters, software, and toys with only nine planets.

An icon displayed beside it would also be a big hit. I've looked at one mod that I found that incorporates "news icons" mods, but it requires a Usergroup to be created rather than just appending to a post in one particular topic thread.

Maybe even have something where the initiator of the post (in this case, myself or a moderator) could select from a drop-down menu and search through only those particular post headers? (But not someone merely replying to the post - only those who are allowed to initiate a post in the category, again in this case myself or a moderator.)

I know that I could just create separate topics under the category of "news", but I have an RSS feed for just this one section using the RSS Content Syndicator from "nschindler" (rss.php?f=14&t=1) and it would make matters considerably easier to just keep it with this one forum category/topic. I could also create a group and re-direct the newsfeed there, but the feed has already been online for several months and I typically receive several hundred hits per day on it, so I really don't want to change the feed URL to point to a group.

Any suggestions on how I could do this?
Last edited by ShadowCat13 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

Bump...
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

An update...

I tried the one mod that puts "Slash Dot" style icons on a post and if the icon is there, it recognizes that as a "news" post and puts it in the newsgroup (a Usergroup). If not, it puts it as a "regular" post.

This won't work, unfortunately, as I need something that will append a graphic or header (preferably graphic) to a post that is in a topic already designated as a newsgroup.

Maybe post FROM a group and have those posts show up in one particular category on the general (public) forum?

Only myself and my moderators can post new topics in the news category, but anyone can reply, so it needs to be only for new topics and only for one category.

Can this be done?

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to do it?

Is there a mod out there already that can do it? I've searched the archives, but didn't find anything.

Help??
Last edited by ShadowCat13 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

Bump...
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

Still hoping someone has an idea on how I can do this.

Again, I am looking for a way to implement a form of "post header" that would be appended to a post in a particular topic (in this case, a news topic that only myself and my moderators can initiate posts in).

An example of this would be something like this:
TOPIC: Religion

From his pulpit in Santa Ana, Chuck Smith's voice thunders with certainty. He denounces homosexuality as a "perverted lifestyle," finds divine wrath in earthquakes and the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and promises imminent Armageddon in a deep, sure voice.

If his message is grim, the founder of the Jesus People and the Calvary Chapel movement bears the ruddy good cheer of a 79-year-old believer who insists he has never known a day's doubt or despair.

From the pulpit of Capo Beach Calvary, 25 miles south of his father's church, Chuck Smith Jr.'s voice trembles with vulnerability and grapples with ambiguity. Without a trace of fire and brimstone, he speaks of Christianity as a "conversation" rather than a dogma, plumbs such TV shows as "The Simpsons" for messages, and aims to reach "generations of the post-modern age" that distrust blind faith and ironclad authority.

The "Topic: Religion" example is what I would like to be able to append (Topic: Religion, Topic: Astronomy, Topic: Sports, etc.). I would prefer an icon, such as with this example of the same article:
Image Topic: Religion

From his pulpit in Santa Ana, Chuck Smith's voice thunders with certainty. He denounces homosexuality as a "perverted lifestyle," finds divine wrath in earthquakes and the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and promises imminent Armageddon in a deep, sure voice.

The topic would be selectable by the initiator of the post, but not for those who are simply replying to the post. This could be from a drop-down menu like this (not an actual screen-cap...created using PhotoShop to show example):

Or it could be from a pop-up that gives the listing of icons to append, similar to the smileys when you click on "View more Emoticons".

Help???

I really need this for my site, and the one mod that I found that even comes close calls for creating a Usergroup and those posts WITH icons are posted IN the Usergroup, whereas those without are posted as a normal post. I need this posted in the "News" forum itself, not in a Usergroup.

Again...help???
prakash_ultimate

Post by prakash_ultimate »

ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

I had thought about using something like that, but no, unfortunately, it wouldn't work as it doesn't show up on the RSS feed.

I need something that actually appends to the post itself, as a "header" (for lack of a better term) to the post.

In this way, it will also show up on the RSS feed for that topic, rather than just in the forum index or viewforum.

Thanks for the reply, though...
mama_soap

Post by mama_soap »

Mmm... shouldn't be impossible, will look at this over the weekend. The way I see it, you would need the complete list of topics to be configurable via the admin panel, and you'll add your own icons from there - please correct me if I got this wrong.

I will try and get back to you (hopefully with some news) in a couple of days.

Cheerio!
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

Yes, topics and icons (and permissions) would be configurable from the admin panel.

Icons would be uploaded into their own directory.

I tried to find that newsgroup "SlashDot" style icon mod that I had tried, but can't remember where it was. I wanted to link to it for an overall example, but without it having to be a newsgroup that it appends.
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

...Bump...
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

...bump?...
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

...bump?...

I still need this...I still can't find anything similar...help???

mama_soap???

Anybody???

Pretty please???

I'll let you be my best friend......... :(
mama_soap

Post by mama_soap »

Hi there :)

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier - got caught up with a long-term health problem after which I got busy catching up with life in general.

Anyway, I think most of your requirements are met here.

I'll PM you the admin login details, so that you can look at the ACP.
You can't add new topic types yet - because the images will need to be FTP'd in place. If you want to add new topics without the icons showing up, feel free.
Try posting new topics after logging in as admin...

Also, you can post messages with these special headers only when you're posting a new message while logged in as admin (or mod, when you take in on your forums).

Let me know if this interests you any, then I'll put it up in mod format.

Got to rush for the moment - but I'll post more details/clarifications if there is any response to this :-)

Cheers, and apologies again for the delay.
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

Long-term health problem...ick!!!! Well, I do hope you're better now. I know how it can be, especially with getting caught back up with life!

Anyway, I checked it out and YES!!! This is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

I'll wait to hear back from you on the mod itself.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work in this - when it comes to HTML and JavaScript, I'm a bit of a wizard...but when it comes to PHP, I'm treading on all new ground and have to re-learn everything.

Again, thank you! :D
ShadowCat13

Post by ShadowCat13 »

It did show one error, though...

Posting after I logged out, I got this:

Could not obtain topic types for this topic

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 2

SELECT * FROM phpbb_ttls WHERE ttls_id =

Line : 560
File : posting.php

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”