Quotes lost

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
onigumo

Quotes lost

Post by onigumo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:30 pm

I had the misfortune of saving the file where I keep all the quotations I collect at the very instant it decided to start randomly disconnecting and having all sorts of errors. I lost many of the quotes I collected and the cached file only contained most of the file, but there are still several missing. Is there a way to retreive these quotes? Does the full database backup I make through phpMyadmin allow its restoration? But then I'd have to rid of previous posts.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:47 pm

Install MySQL locally on your computer then restore the backup there. From there retrieve just the one post or posts you need.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:52 pm

Unfortunately, it's not posts I'm after, it's a copy of the txt file in my FTP directory. I was in the middle of uploading an edit I made in that file when the server disconnected. When I logged back in, there was a cached file and eventually the txt file showed up again, but it was incomplete.

Though it's true I should have taken the necessary precautions, I've been disconnected on numerous occasions while uploading and the file would remain intact. This is the first time something like this happened to me after years of use.

I'm using CuteFTP.
@ The Infinity Program.

m0nk3h

Post by m0nk3h » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:32 pm

if you were uploading, surely you have it stored locally?
The search function is a very good tool. Use it before asking your questions.

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Erm, sorry if I expressed the nature of the matter poorly. What I meant was that I was uploading the changes, but the file itself was located in the FTP directory, not on my hdd.
@ The Infinity Program.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:49 pm

You cant upload part of a text file.... You have to have to entire thing on your computer before you can upload it to your website.....

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:43 am

OK, then I suppose I made improper use of the term in this context.

What I mean to say is: I opened up the txt file which is not on my hdd but which I accessed through FTP, edited it, then closed the file choosing to save the changes made, and while the FTP program was in the process of saving this information, it stopped and disconnected.
@ The Infinity Program.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”