Is there a way to remove all email features?

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Linda Carter

Is there a way to remove all email features?

Post by Linda Carter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:35 am

Is it possible to remove all these options from the board? I don't want them disabled, I want them removed.

The first options, available on each profile.

Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.

Always show my e-mail address

Notify on new Private Message:
I guess this is the option related to send a notification by email to you when someone send a PM. It should also be removed.

I want that people go to my board instead of checking their mailboxes.

Watch this topic for replies

Again, I don't want any notifications being sent.

The last option I need to remove is the email field on the register page. I want all users being able to create new accounts without having to specify any email address.

I know it's possible to avoid the validation process, however the register screen is asking for email addresses anyway.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

jalaln

Re: Is there a way to remove all email features?

Post by jalaln » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:30 am

You could set all these options by default to No or unchecked and remove them from .TPL files.
No more spambots for phpBB2 and phpBB3.

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:52 am

What files?

I want them removed, not disabled by default. Since I don't know what TPL files you are talking about, and which lines remove it (without any risk of harming/messing the whole board), I am affraid I won't be able to remove one by one. :oops:

At least, if it's not possible to remove all the others, I need to remove the most important thing from that list:

The email field in the register page.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:51 pm

If they don't pub in an email address how are you supposed to be able to contact them?
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:30 pm

I don't want to contact anyone. :)

I want that people may join my board without having to create email accounts, and also not using email features. They might as well go to the own board in order to do everything they want.

Just one thing: Without providing any emails, they won't be able to retrieve lost passwords. But is my choice.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Linda Carter wrote:I don't want to contact anyone. :)

I want that people may join my board without having to create email accounts, and also not using email features. They might as well go to the own board in order to do everything they want.

Just one thing: Without providing any emails, they won't be able to retrieve lost passwords. But is my choice.
Actually, without an email, you won't be able to send mass emails, you will get errors when adding people to groups, you won't be able to verify their email, etc., etc.

the email address is an integral part of phpbb.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer

jalaln

Post by jalaln » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Check this out:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a
[2.0.10] Disable Email
This MOD provides an option in the forum configuration settings to turn the email functions on or off. If turned off, the forum will not attempt to send any emails.
No more spambots for phpBB2 and phpBB3.

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:Actually, without an email, you won't be able to send mass emails, you will get errors when adding people to groups, you won't be able to verify their email, etc., etc.

the email address is an integral part of phpbb.
You're confused. I don't want any email features anywhere on my board. And what I want is possible, check this out.

Remove E-Mail Requirement
With a few quick edits, you can remove the requirement that users enter an e-mail address in the registration and profile forms.

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/2280

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:48 am

Actually I'm not confused at all.

That mod will allow the email address to not be a requirement, but you will have issues when using the mass email function of the forum as well as when adding someone to a group. Also, I wonder what happens when someone has the "Notify me of new replies" checked.

You will get errors, period, the end. Don't believe me? Make a test account without entering an email account then add that account to a group, what happens?

Perhaps in combination with the other mod that was linked, you could circumvent this. Why you would want to do this I have no idea as you will not be able to contact that person if they have no email address.

But, whatever, good luck with your project.

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Wowwwwwww!!!

Owned!!!!!

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/2280
This MOD is not working!!!!

I already tested and phpBB 2.0.23 is telling me that the email field doesn't have a valid email address (which means he will not register any account without providing email addresses).

It seems the author of this MOD didn't realize that or need to modify more files (the profile page for instance).

Too bad, since I was almost removing this requirement. I know that other scripts already have that ability, phpBB is too bad, why a simple thing like this can't be done? And I didn't even mention the rest.

For God sakes... :cry:

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:57 pm

That is due to this in includes/usercp_register.php

Code: Select all

$result = validate_email($email);
which is then called in includes/functions_validate like this

function validate_email($email)
{
	global $db, $lang;

if ($email != '')
	{
		if (preg_match('/^[a-z0-9&\'\.\-_\+]+@[a-z0-9\-]+\.([a-z0-9\-]+\.)*?[a-z]+$/is', $email))
		{
			$sql = "SELECT ban_email
				FROM " . BANLIST_TABLE;
			if ($result = $db->sql_query($sql))
			{
				if ($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
				{
					do
					{
						$match_email = str_replace('*', '.*?', $row['ban_email']);
						if (preg_match('/^' . $match_email . '$/is', $email))
						{
							$db->sql_freeresult($result);
							return array('error' => true, 'error_msg' => $lang['Email_banned']);
						}
					}
					while($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result));
				}
			}

$sql = "SELECT user_email
				FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
				WHERE user_email = '" . str_replace("\'", "''", $email) . "'";
			if (!($result = $db->sql_query($sql)))
			{
				message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Couldn't obtain user email information.", "", __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
			}

if ($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
			{
				return array('error' => true, 'error_msg' => $lang['Email_taken']);
			}

return array('error' => false, 'error_msg' => '');
		}
	}

return array('error' => true, 'error_msg' => $lang['Email_invalid']);
}
so if the email field is blank, it will toss an error saying "Email is invalid" or something like that.

So, comment that line out in includes/usercp_register.php so it looks like this

//		$result = validate_email($email);
and the rest of the mod should work fine.

It is important to realize that some mods, like that one, are usually made with certain versions in mind (eg 2.0.18). It is also important to realize that mods obtained from elsewhere that cause issues with your forum are not supported and will not be supported here per teh rulez of teh forum.

I probably just got myself into trouble answering your question with the mods of phpbb.com....again. :roll:

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 pm

If you know any hack capable of modify whatever I want on this thread that is already available on phpbb.com, I will be glad to verify.

Unless I am mistaken, phpbbhacks.com have plenty of good hacks, and some of them are not available on other sites. I am aware of the version thing, but it should work on most phpBB 2 versions.

And unless I am also mistaken, the MOD request area was never a place to ask for support, only to make suggestions. Stop this hostile approach, and being the owner of truth. Whatever the costs are, we are seeking for answers here. And I am looking for something that should be available, if all developers of phpBB were not so stupid. :roll:

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm

Linda Carter wrote:Stop this hostile approach, and being the owner of truth.
I see absolutely nothing in any of my posts to even give you that feeling...sorry you feel this way.
...if all developers of phpBB were not so stupid. :roll:
..and with that I bid you, ma'am, a very fond adieu. Good luck!!

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 pm

Linda Carter wrote:Stop this hostile approach, and being the owner of truth.
someone needs a reality check. if you install the MOD that RMcGirr83 mentioned, it will disable all board email functions. users will still need to enter an email address when registering (it could be a bogus email address, so_and_so@soandso.com for example), but they will be allowed to log in immediatly after registering.

Linda Carter wrote:...if all developers of phpBB were not so stupid. :roll:
think you can do it better? go ahead. :roll:

camm15h
Former Team Member
Name: Paul Cammish

Post by camm15h » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:36 pm

In the interest of preventing this flaming escalating, I shall close this topic.

There has been plenty of help provided above, but if you feel you still need more advice, please create a new topic starting a clean slate.

I advise anyone who tried to offer advice here, to leave the author to it, should a new topic arise. :)

Thanks.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”