REQUEST: Admin/Mod Warning Pop-Up?

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Can I ask if anybody is actually making this MOD?
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

John can you make this the next [KMR] please?
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

would it or would it not be fairly similar to the report post pop-up however to a defined user?
Flipper

Post by Flipper »

Howdie,

I should have a few hrs to spare tomorrow so I'm gonna give this one ago. I have a clear idea in my mind on how this is gonna work. The only thing I ask is that don't PM me asking when this is done. I should hopefully have a beta available by tomorrow but I'm not promising anything.
~Flipper
_____
Website - #Team.SoC - A Call of Duty clan
No PM/IM Support given :)
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

hehe thanks Flipper - and I won't bother you with good for nothing PM's - all in your own time :) just keep us updated won't you? Thanks once again
Flipper

Post by Flipper »

:)

k....Looking through the thread and playing with a few things, I need to ask u r opinions on the following:

1) Should this be a Moderator and/or an Admin function?
2) Should the Admin be able to message guests?

k this is how the messaging groups are going to be divided:

* All Users - Moderators, Admins, Std. Users, Guests, etc.
* Guests only
* Moderators Only
* Register users only
* Specific Users.

This system will use a cookie so that the system doesn't sent the same message twice. There will be issues:

1) The messages can't stay for ever. They will need to be emptied.
2) What happens if one users receives two messages.

The above issues I will find away around. Any requesters of this MOD have any opinions on the above.
~Flipper
_____
Website - #Team.SoC - A Call of Duty clan
No PM/IM Support given :)
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

I think that in all mods that involve administrative functions, the admin should have the option to give access to a mod or group of mods. A check list would work fine I think, but that's up to you since I don't know about coding. Once again, about options, it would be good to be able to choose to let either members, guests or any to view the msg. Kinda like when you go to forum permissions and you can choose various groups like all, reg, priv, mod and admin. If that's not to hard it would add a lot of versatility.

Now, if this is too complex, well then it's fine, it's just an idea after all. But also if I could send a message to mods and a message to members and one to guests. That might be too complex. anyhoo, to start it would be nice to choose between guests and members, just guests or just members.

The popup could have a time out for lets say x amount of seconds before no one at all will see it? If you see it more than once it's no biggie, cause usually it's a reminder, unless you want to add a check box for the user to choose to not see that particular message again, not the window, just that message . . .

whaddaya think>
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

ok it would be Admin, Junior Admin and Moderator Warning Pop-ups i.e to alert a specific user of breach of rules.

The messages wouldn't need to stay forever - just so the user sees it then it disappears - maybe a log to show previous warnings (or is that going too far?)
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

okay, I went in my own world, sorry.

your division of groups seems excellent. about the user getting more than one msg cause they might be in more than one group (if that's what you meant) you could make a list of msgs in the window. However, not all groups will overlap, right? mods are members, but they're not guests, members aren't guests, admins are members and mods. I guess the important thing is as long as they don't get the same message twice because of a dual membership, it would be fine, no?
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

well if you had the option to who you sent it to i.e. a tick box etc.. or list usernames then you wouldn't have the problem - just click next to somebody's name then send the pop-up. no?
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

what kind of warning?

I'm thinking of this as when the site is down, or need to get a temp msg out. would I be able to send a msg for guests AND one for members/mods. I guess the question is separate window or all together?

You wouldn't need a permanent message, just the ability to specifiy how long the message stays in the db before it dumps?
JayJ

Post by JayJ »

well yes maintenence warning - but how would you be able to send it if the forum is down? ;) unless of course it was remote - in another window - outside of the forum body itself. Maybe both in the body and outside.
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

ticking the usernames might be a long list, no? ticking for groups, definitely, if allowable that is, maybe typing the name like it does for the name lookup and possible names pop up in a new window and choose which one? that might be quicker than going through a list of 300 . . .

what about multiple messages to different groups? is it possible?
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

personally I do something like "will be down from this time to this time" but it could be used for announcements. what are you thinking of? it could even be used for a welcome msg depending on how you do it. that is if you could have one window for guests and another for others as you define it. 3 window messages should be fine, if possible, I feel my imagination running away on this .. . .
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

well, however it comes out, I'll be satisfied. no pressure to create the taj mahal or anything. thanks for picking this up!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”