Paypal IPN Subscription System

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
overcast

Paypal IPN Subscription System

Post by overcast »

This would be an amazing module to addon to phpbb. Allowing subscription based services to the forum. Users who subscribe are added to a "Subscriber" group, have special access privileges etc.
clanhut

Post by clanhut »

Yeah, I certainly could use something like this. To bad that I am too stupid to know how to make something like this. :cry:
writer

Post by writer »

Sorry to bring this back to life, however I found this while searching and seems like it would be a big step for phpbb to be able to have somesort of subscription system.
rockett1

Post by rockett1 »

Hope to see a mod like this, someday.. :)
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

me too.
You can have it all if you like... but you can pay for it the rest of your life.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

This would be an excellent idea. It would majorly boost the use of phpBB for businesses.
jasper42

Post by jasper42 »

This would be a god-send of an idea... The idea of being able to charge for privileges would certainly easy the costs of paying for bandwidth on high value downloads such as images (*lots* of them)....
lionly

Post by lionly »

it would be nice to have that, but i think the problem lies in this,

The liscense of the PHPBB, is GNU, i believe, which then negates the whole open to the public thing, if you charge someone to go on your forum, that is powered by phpbb, phpbb should get a piece of the action to, ...

in other words you are making money for soemthing that you did not create... yet this happens all the time LOL
or then phpbb needs to start a liscensing fee,...

I thinkl thats why they dont make this mod....
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Actually, its perfectly okay to charge people for the use of your forums... And phpBB doesn't make the MOD 'cause its not their responsibility to do so. An interested user has to pick it up and make it.
david@dnsforum.be

Post by david@dnsforum.be »

i'm also looking for a such MOD. PayPal is not the only option, you can also have payments by mobiles phones which is more handy for end-users
but the MOD must manages the renewal of the users subscription.. like sending emails to advise "it's time to renew blablabla"

If i found one out there, i'll upload and i'll give you the link to subscribe :lol:
Twizter

Post by Twizter »

If you read the GPL it specifically says that the term free doesn't mean free of charge, it means freedom.
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish)

This license wouldn't even apply to this anyways, as this is charging for a service on you're site (which you should be able to do if you want to), not charging for the software that allows you to.

Anyways, I've begun to work on such a MOD and will inform you of any progress.
INTENSIFIED INTENSITY!!!1!11~1!!!!~
cybertai

Post by cybertai »

Hi let me just add my view one this, this comes from another forum running invasin thought, People use paypal or any other method to pay some amount to be a "Delux Member" , now dulux member has some special privvilagges such as no benner ads, Unlimited traffic(bandwidth), faster loading time. Normal user will have a share bandwidth in which once it exceeds, a page will appear say bandwidth has exceeded limit, click here to apply for dulux member to have unlimited bandwidth. I Really hope this mod wuold be done.. Looking forward
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

ever look at osCommerce?

it probably has PayPal & CC gateway code that would probably drop in without too much problem if you can find a MOD author that is interested.
why reinvent the wheel?
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away
- Philip K. Dick

Reality is that which, when taken away, you can stop believing in
- Aysla Crystal McGregor
cybertai

Post by cybertai »

I think they need more then just a payment system.They need a mod that once a user has done with the payments gets special stuff.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

that's the easy bit, no?

it can be borrowed from the various MODs allowing various things based on post count, points, cash, what not.

even if that wasn't borrowed it's the payment gateway stuff that's the thing that kept most people from writing a MOD like this, the ACP part you can even review the phpBB code for forum permissions and work from there.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away
- Philip K. Dick

Reality is that which, when taken away, you can stop believing in
- Aysla Crystal McGregor

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”