Changing the IP address in the database ?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
olaamigos

Changing the IP address in the database ?

Post by olaamigos »

Hello,

I'm wondering is it possible to change the IP address of one user in the database or not? Does anyone knows?
Let's say, what if the admin has 2 usernames and he doesn't want any Moderators or Super Moderators know that user is the same as the other user by the look up IP address of that post in the forum. So I'm wondering is it possible to change the saving IP address of that post in the database or not? Any knows? Thanks a lot :)
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: Changing the IP address in the database ?

Post by drathbun »

The IP address in a standard phpBB2 database is only stored on the post table (phpbb_posts) in the poster_ip column. The value is encoded... essentially converted to hex and the dots dropped so that it's exactly 8 characters long. You could run an update script to reset the IP address to something different if you wanted.

When we pre-loaded our board some years back with the archives of a mailing list we set the IP address to "7F000001" which is 127.0.0.1 or the "home" IP address. So it's certainly possible. :)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

however, there can be many, many people with the same IP address at any given time.

most people get a new IP every time they go online.

heck, AOL users get new IPs at random while they are online.

Just don't worry about IP addresses, they don't tell you anything useful at all.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

They can be enough of an indicator that I understand the reason for the question. ;-) The issue is, one admin with two accounts doesn't want someone to figure out if they're they same person. By IP address this is quite easy to do, especially if that person posts primarily from a small subset of addresses.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”