Language

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Antony

Language

Post by Antony »

Okay, I was looking through as useuall.

And I look at the code, and notice that all your error messages you die strings are all hardcoded to English.

Though when writting a hack for phpBB you need to use the language variables in lang_***.php and I was wondering why this is not the case for the error messages.

So if the board is available in so many languages, why not have the errors so people know what is wrong with their forum in another language?
I've Been Banned!
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Some of the errors were made after 2.0.0. Some of the languages have not been updated since that time. In order to keep the i18n team from having to redo their work, Paul hard coded them to english.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

Because 9 out of 10 times the admin of the board will have no idea what the error actually is. In which case they can come here and receive help. There is no real benefit in localising errors IMO and it's not something we plan on doing even for 2.2.
Antony

Post by Antony »

psoTFX wrote: Because 9 out of 10 times the admin of the board will have no idea what the error actually is. In which case they can come here and receive help. There is no real benefit in localising errors IMO and it's not something we plan on doing even for 2.2.

I know what the errors mean. :D
I've Been Banned!

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”