Paid Membership PHPBB Boards

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
nubianniht

Paid Membership PHPBB Boards

Post by nubianniht » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:31 am

does anybody here have a phpbb board based on paid member subscription?
if so who are you using besides paypal?
meaning that in order to do certain things in the board such as advertise, sell, etc you have to go through a paid subscription.
if you do have a paid membership subscription phpbb board please reply with it.
or any of you that know of a paid membership subscription phpbb board please post it in a reply.

thank you way in advanced

Ultima

Post by Ultima » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:46 am

Why would people make others PAY to join?

also ask for cash,check,money orders or paypal if thats what you're asking

DeskMod

Post by DeskMod » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:09 am

I have done this with vBulletin 3.0, and Invision Board for 2 of my sites. It was easier to do for vBulletin 3.0 than Invision Board, because vB 3.0 has new subscriptions, which is meant for this thing. It is all automated, so when a person pays you via paypal it does the appropriate changes to the user.

I am working on this for phpbb. I just got used to the coding environment, but I am a bit stumped on templating, because its a drag. I should be done in a matter of weeks, If you wish I will send it your way.

nubianniht

Post by nubianniht » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:25 am

Ultima wrote: Why would people make others PAY to join?

also ask for cash,check,money orders or paypal if thats what you're asking

i'm not enforcing paid registration.
it's still free.
there are certain features i will have on my board that a registered user will greatly benefit from.
in order to user this feature that i have on my board the user has to subscribe to a reaccurring bill either via paypal, ibill, or whoever.
i'm basically trying to find which billing service that will integrate well with my board.
i'm doing some research before i sign with some billin company i really don't want to deal with and get my behind in some hot water. :wink:

nubianniht

Post by nubianniht » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:27 am

DeskMod wrote: I have done this with vBulletin 3.0, and Invision Board for 2 of my sites. It was easier to do for vBulletin 3.0 than Invision Board, because vB 3.0 has new subscriptions, which is meant for this thing. It is all automated, so when a person pays you via paypal it does the appropriate changes to the user.

I am working on this for phpbb. I just got used to the coding environment, but I am a bit stumped on templating, because its a drag. I should be done in a matter of weeks, If you wish I will send it your way.

wow!!! 8O
that would be awesome.
lmk how everything is going.
thanks!

scoobie

Post by scoobie » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:12 pm

this sounds very interesting.
Any progress as yet?
You can have it all if you like... but you can pay for it the rest of your life.

ruv

Post by ruv » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:59 pm

I was able to do this using the typo3 registration system and phpbb clone. A user is prompted to enter their credit card info inm the last step of the registration process, based on what membership level they selected, their account remains in-active until the payment is authorized by the payment gateway.

I'm currently using this approach on http://www.net-impact.org

Not sure if this helps.

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:19 pm

I assume you offer a secure connection (HTTPS)?

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

ruv

Post by ruv » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:29 pm

Of course! Never do any ecommence on an unsecured connection. EVER!

I thinking about releasing a dummy install of typo3 with phpbb, the e-comm registration system all working together. If their is any interest.

ruv.

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:47 pm

Sure, I'd be interested even though I've found TYPO3 to be a real mess to work with, at least before you get into it. Been trying to teach it to less computer-savvy people and it's hard. Lousy documentation too. Requires rewriting.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.

ruv

Post by ruv » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:53 pm

Well as for the bad documentation, My team has done good portion of it, so I disagree, at least in regards to some of the tutorials. You've probably not looked hard enough.

A good starting point is mcuniverse.com created by my chief tutorial writer.,

http://www.mcuniverse.com/index.php/Typ ... s/typo3/0/

The beginners intro is located at:
http://www.mcuniverse.com/index.php/Typ ... ypo3tut/0/

These are also on the typo3.org site in the extensions area.

ruv.

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:07 pm

I've read the beginner's guide and the template guide as well as the Typoscript references found at TYPO3.org. I found the beginner's tutorial being very good but the templating tutorials being inconsistent and bad at explaining theory. Programming is all about theory so you can't leave it out, Kasper argues you can.
I guess I should have spent more time with it but the attitude of the whole core group of users changed my mind. Being called newbie fifty times doesn't make anyone more inclined to learn. I may have come off with the most arrogant side of my personality, caused by the response given, but the attitude of many of those core people was at last twice as bad as mine. I don't understand why they keep such people, it's hurting the project in the long run.
I do however plan to build a big site using it so I'll be looking into it soon.
Last edited by Kail on Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:12 pm

This is the site I've set up using TYPO3:

http://www.natverketvileda.se

ruv

Post by ruv » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:22 pm

I agree with your assement of the maillist, I've built 30 sites with typo3 and still feel like a newbie. So your right, that is a problem.. But that also generates a lot of consulting work for me., so its a double edged sword.

btw, that site looks good.

ruv

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:29 pm

Thanks! If you need TYPO3 templating work done, just yell. I do both phpBB and TYPO3 templates. :)

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”