how do you all redesign your phpbb sites?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
cstotes

how do you all redesign your phpbb sites?

Post by cstotes »

I've been wanting to redesign my phpbb board and my website for a while but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm on 2.04 with about 40 or so mods installed. I currently have around 80 users and 1500 posts (I prune users and posts with great prejudice! :wink: ). I want to start over (everything got a little messy from learning php, modding stuff, template customizing, etc) but I don't want to lose my current user info and posts. I would like to upgrade to 2.05, reinstall some of the mods that I want to keep (some I have found I don't really want to have anymore), use a totally different template from subSilver (http://demo.phpbbstyles.com/index.php?style=6), and then design the rest of my site around using that template (not too hard from reading posts I've searched for). So to recap, my main goals concerning the forum are:
1. start with a fresh code (probably with a 2.05 install)
2. retain current user and post information
3. install Eos template
4. install around 35 mods

Can it be done? Seems like it is going to be really hard. I'm not sure how I'm gonna do this so any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Installing the MODs again would be the hardest part.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
cstotes

Post by cstotes »

I'm worried about differences between the database from 2.04 and 2.05. Also database changes that I might keep or remove from mods (depending on which ones I keep) and how that would effect the db info that I back up. Then I need to import the data into the new setup without breaking everything. It is probably going to suck since I don't want to buy another DB from my provider just to do this and I'd like to develop the new stuff exactly how I have stuff setup right now (I'm refering folder and database names).
Slimeboy

Post by Slimeboy »

I would wait intill 2.2 and then go from there.
guice

Post by guice »

Little differences between 2.0.4 and 2.0.5.

As they always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You might be better off, as Slimebody said, just to wait until 2.2. Even tough it can be in a few months, it would be better than spending days trying to upgrade to 2.0.5. Then spending days upgrading to 2.2 when it's released.
cstotes

Post by cstotes »

Well even though I know the developers are hard at work on 2.2, I just don't see it coming out this year. When it does come out I'll probably wait for 2.2.x so bugs and/or security issues are "fleshed out" some.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Are there any database changes in 2.0.5? I would have guessed not, that the only changes were in the interaction with the db (meaning the php source) rather than actual table changes. If that's the case, your bigger worry is the changes to the db that you may have made with the mods.

Here's the primary question... did you document the changes made for each mod? ;-) I keep a record of any database changes in a different directory, named by mod, just so I can keep track of the changes that are required.

You said that you didn't want to "buy" another database from your provider, I'm assuming, then, that you have a limit? Because the easiest way to do this would be to set up a second board using 2.0.5, import your users and whatnot, and then start modding from there. You can also have some test users help you test out the new install while continuing the old board. Once you have everything verified, then you can switch the board from your old board to the new one with (in theory, anyway) no down time. It may be worth the extra cost for a month, just to save yourself some aggravation.

Or try setting up your "new" board at one of the free hosts just to get it going. Or set up a server at your house. ;-) It doesn't take much to run apache + php + mysql, I have a server at my house now running linux and all of the above on a 400 MHz PII with 128 MB of RAM. It's just fine for a test / dev box.

If it were me, I would not wait for 2.2, since there is no firm deadline other than "when it's done". 8) Food for thought.

Dave
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

There were a couple DB schema changes .0.4 -> .0.5, including the sendmail_fix field in the phpbb_config table. And I am doing as Drathbun suggests to upgrade :P
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: There were a couple DB schema changes .0.4 -> .0.5, including the sendmail_fix field in the phpbb_config table.

Correct me if I am wrong, that that didn't change the structure of the database table, just the content. Correct? Schema = structure, not the contents in the database.

Dave
cstotes

Post by cstotes »

Well next time I'll do the db change logging like you suggest. I guess it is going to be a pain in the arse to look through each mod install file to see the db changes. Oh well.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Adding a new field does change the structure. Or am I an idiot?
A Donut's Blog
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: Adding a new field does change the structure. Or am I an idiot?

If it is a new field, then it is a change in the structure. I have not looked, so I can't say for sure, but the phpbb_config table only has two fields. config_name, and config_value. I don't see a need to add some sort of email fix "field" to the table. Instead, it's probably a row in the table, eh?

phpbb_config structure

So that's not a structure change, it's a content change.

Put another way. If you add a field to a database table, the affects can be far-reaching. Take for example the tutorial on adding a new field to the phpbb_user table. There is all sorts of code to be updated. But if there is a new row in the config table, then that doesn't require any new coding at all. Sure, if no new coding is added, the new feature won't be used, but it won't break anything.

Make sense?

And I'm saying all of this without having looked at the 2.0.5 upgrade notes, so I have no idea what is really happening. 8) But from your description, I think I am correct.

Dave
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

:oops: I always forget about the layout of the config table :oops:
A Donut's Blog
cstotes

Post by cstotes »

Well I used and compare tool and it looks like that a new table is in 2.05 that wasn't in 2.04 called phpbb_confim which has three columns (compared the mysql_schema.sql files). Then there was a difference in the mysql_basic.sql files too. A new phpbb_config value is inserted for the confirm table and also something for a sendmail fix.
phpika

Post by phpika »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: Or am I an idiot?

No, that is me :P
The Pika Club Website |pvpOnline|"I hope I didn't brain my damage" ~ Homer Simpson

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”