Unsafe Mods List?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
DanielT
Former Team Member

Post by DanielT »

in effect your asking use to make a 'phpBB bug traq', thats not going to happen, if you find a securtiy bug PLEASE! pm the author, dont post it around here, because YOU will cause peoples sites to get hacked, and everyone will blame you.

Numlock2KS:

i dont get what you mean? 'always' installed?
Numlock2KS

Post by Numlock2KS »

DanielT wrote: :SNIP: i dont get what you mean? 'always' installed?

Hello DanielT,

Modifications to operating code of phpBB is what MODs are all about. Some MODs require that actual database tables or fields be added, modified, or otherwise changed. The MODs that change the physical structure of the database are the ones that I am talking about.

Once database structure is changed, the calls made to the new structure can cause improper database functionality. Leaving orphaned fields and tables is never a good idea. If a certain MOD adds, changes, or otherwise modifies the operating database itself, that MOD must remain a functional part of any 'upgrades' made to the front end that uses the information stored in the database itself. The only alternative is to discard existing data and start from scratch with a clean install. (Not an option for those running 'real life' databases used by hundreds or thousands of users.)

It would be nice if there were some sort of a notice that showed MODs that change physical database structure. This would be of particular interest to those of us who track MODders who maintain their code with updates. I will not install any MOD if the MODder has no history of upgrading his or her code as phpBB progresses. Being forced to start from scratch is why I switched from vBulletin to phpBB in the first place.

Best Regards,

Numlock2KS
cstotes

Post by cstotes »

Yeah that would be nice indeed! I'm going throw a phpbb upgrade nightmare at the moment due to those types of mods (that change the db).
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

You can always ALTER TABLE to remove the new fields and DELETE TABLE to remove added tables.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
ChristianWeb

Post by ChristianWeb »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: You can always ALTER TABLE to remove the new fields and DELETE TABLE to remove added tables.

how to do that?

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”