Junction of Forum's

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
bendude

Post by bendude » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:11 am

well nvr mind i got it :oops: :oops:

RB_Moe

Post by RB_Moe » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:54 am

Please excuse my bumping this thread with a rather stupid question, but how do I run this script?

avissoft

Post by avissoft » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:16 pm

Hi!

I think this script sometimes work for some people and usually this does not works. Now the thing is why php guys are not making something like this ?

Thanks!
Tapan Bhanot,
Avis Software.
Phone: (+91) 9888-488-488

http://www.avissoftware.com/ - Low cost domains starting from $1.89 and cPanel/phpBB hosting from as low as $4 per year. Try it to believe it.

kiaora

OMG

Post by kiaora » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:36 am

Graham i bow down at your feet and kiss your hairy toes! /happy dance

great simple solution :) solved my last issue with an ezboard converstion weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

motoxkid204

Post by motoxkid204 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:59 pm

the original link doesnt work.... anywere else :-S

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:43 pm

I do believe there are other similar scripts linked on pages 2 and 3.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

motoxkid204

Post by motoxkid204 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 pm

I have just read 2 and 3 and could not find anything . :cry: just people showing their errors ...

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Really... On Page 3, A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote

I'm thinking the reason the link is dead is because typo.nl's server is currently down, however
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

motoxkid204

Post by motoxkid204 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:09 pm

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: Really... On Page 3, A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote

I'm thinking the reason the link is dead is because typo.nl's server is currently down, however
oh.... :oops: :oops: :oops: missed that. that looks really confusing.. is the typo.nl one the same thing? shall I just wait for the server to go back up

AUCDOCTOBE

Post by AUCDOCTOBE » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:47 am

Never mind. I see the answer.

[
Learning...

AUCDOCTOBE

One last step

Post by AUCDOCTOBE » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:06 am

Okay, I thought that I solved the problem, but I didn't. Everything seems to be going well than somewhere in the Privmsg's merging step, I get this:

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'privmsgs_from_username' in 'field list'

Any tips would be appreciated. I also wonder if I should skip the priv-messaging merge.
Learning...

encryption

Post by encryption » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:53 pm

after multiple failures, I got this mod to work flawlessly and have repeated the process of merging 2 databases about 5 times and it worked everytime ...... I installed and played around with forums having different mods and it worked every single time without a hitch.......

I would have posted a step by step process in here but since the last post in here is about 3 months ago, I'll wait to see if there is any interest...

fyi I am not a programmer and know about php as much as I do about building a rocket..... all I can offer is a fail proof way of making the mod work.....

the only drawback from my method is, it will not import any mods or anything.... you will have to create all mods from scratch..... PM me if you guys want me to post a fix in this thread

-e-

opheliagrimm

Post by opheliagrimm » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:04 pm

I would love to hear it!

Just about to embark on a similar project and side stepping any issues and possible points of frustration will be most welcome!

thanks in advance.

you can email me at opheliagrimm@yahoo.com as well.

encryption

Post by encryption » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:52 pm

seeing that I got a few requests over the last few days, I decided to make a small write up on how to effectively run this mod.... so here goes...

the process is fairly simple.... firstly make sure you copy and paste the code from the mod ( http://www.typo.nl/misc/merge_phpbb.phps ) in a file and save it as merge.php or anything else u want..... then open the file and look at just the top 20 lines or so until you see the following lines

Code: Select all

# NO NEED TO MODIFY CODE BELOW 
# MODIFY ONLY IF U KNOW WHAT U R DOING 
All the lines above that are what you need to edit.... so lets get cracking, but first - a NOTE
  • YOU WILL NEED TO RUN THIS SCRIPT TWICE (TO IMPORT THE DATABASES FROM BOTH SITES TO A FRESH NEW INSTALL TO ENSURE THIS SCRIPT WORKS FLAWLESSLY.

• IF YOU ARE MERGING 2 DATABASES / SITES AND ONE SITE IS OLDER AND HAS MORE POSTS THAN THE SECOND SITE, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IMPORTING THE OLDER SITE FIRST AND THEN THE SECOND SITE ON THE MERGE BECAUSE THAT WILL ENSURE THAT ITS USING THE USERNAMES / ID'S OF THE OLD SITE AND MERGING THE NEWER ONE ONTO IT....

• ALL THE DATABASES SHOULD HAVE THE SAME USERNAME AND PASSWORD
... so back to cracking the mod.... at this stage I dont know how heavily modded your site is but mine was VERY heavily modded. Additionally to make things worse, one site had the subforums mod and the other didn't. So to ensure that none of the added lines of code to the MySQL database caused problems during the merge

1) You need to do a clean install of the latest version of phpbb forum on a fresh new and empty database.... once you have setup the forum and taken care that the forum is installed well... then

2) Edit the merge.php document as below

$dbms = 'mysql'; <--- Leave it as is
$phpbb_root_path = '../merge/'; <--- change it to name of the directory of your new phpbb install

$dbhost = 'localhost'; <--- leave it as is (unless your databases are on different domains
$dbuser = 'user'; <--- your login name for your new database install
$dbpasswd = 'pass'; <--- your password for your new database install

// Name and prefix for the database that should keep the original IDs
$dbname1 = 'XYZ'; <--- your database name of your new database install
$table_prefix1 = 'phpbb_'; <--- your table prefix of your new database install

// Name and prefix for the database that is going to be added
// to DB1.
$dbname2 = 'ABC'; <--- your database name of the forum you want to import - BE SURE THAT THIS IS THE DATABASE WITH THE LARGER NUMBER OF USERS AND POST COUNT
$table_prefix2 = 'phpbb_'; <--- your table prefix of the database you want to import

3) Save the file, upload it to the new forum location in the ROOT DIR and run it.....execution time will depend on the size of the database.... DO NOT INTERRUPT THE SCRIPT OR YOUR IMPORT WILL FAIL

4) Once the the page has completely loaded and the script has finished executing, head over to your new forum and refresh the index page. It should show all the users / posts / forum layout etc. ..... note that forum layout will appear ONLY IF you imported a database that does not have Categories Heirarchy installed on it. If you do have CH installed on the forum you imported FIRST, you will need to run a sql query to update all Categories_ID to 1

5)Repeat step 2 having replaced the code below for the SECOND database you need to import...

// Name and prefix for the database that is going to be added
// to DB1.
$dbname2 = 'DEF'; <--- your database name of the forum you want to import - BE SURE THAT THIS IS THE SECOND DATABASE WITH THE SMALLER NUMBER OF POSTS THAT YOU WISH TO IMPORT
$table_prefix2 = 'phpbb_'; <--- your table prefix of the second database you want to import

6) Save the file, upload it to the new forum location in the ROOT DIR and run it again.....once it finishes, you will have both forums merged into your new one........

END INSTRUCTIONS

NOTE

After running this script and taking my forums live, a week later and so have not noticed any problems. The ONLY issue I am having are with the attachment mod and the Album mod. Obviously since this mod was not written keeping either mod in mind, it has broken all posted attachments in posts and in the albums mod, for some reason user_ids have got jumbled and so personal galleries have been assigned to different users.

Other than that.... the mod WORKS PERFECTLY......

enjoy (and feel free to post any comments here)

-e-
Last edited by encryption on Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

encryption

Post by encryption » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:04 pm

btw you can see a working version of my merged forums at www.mercurynation.com

and believe it or not, I didnt merge 2 forums, I merged 4 .... all the sites listed in my sig are now at the above URL 8)

-e-

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”