[2.0.x] Tweaks for large forums

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
GRIZZLY_NL

Re: phpBB tweaks for large forums

Post by GRIZZLY_NL »

qspypl wrote: PS 2
Maybe someone with good hack for phpbb3 start new topic ;) "phpBB3 tweaks for large forums". I will be during whole next week try to convert best style/forum from phpbb2 --> phpbb3 and test speed gain. Then that thread would be great ;) for further performance gain.
I agree, RC1 is out and many people have migrated, are migrating as we speak or plan to do it soon.

I have already migrated and it seems that phpBB 3 is SLOWER out of the box than a customized phpBB 2 forum.
The DB part seems faster but somehow the PHP part has become a CPU resource hog...
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

GRIZZLY_NL wrote: I have already migrated and it seems that phpBB 3 is SLOWER out of the box than a customized phpBB 2 forum.
The DB part seems faster but somehow the PHP part has become a CPU resource hog...
That's your trade-off for more features.

The same when phpBB 2 was released. Many complained it to be slower than version 1.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

Dog Cow wrote:
GRIZZLY_NL wrote: I have already migrated and it seems that phpBB 3 is SLOWER out of the box than a customized phpBB 2 forum.
That's your trade-off for more features.
i don't believe that is the case.
"more features" should not cause olympus to be slower. reading the code, it is significantly more streamlined and concise than phpbb2. if it is really slower, most probably this is a result of some kinks that should be straightened (imho) before final release.

@GRIZZLY NL: can you try and pinpoint your qualification of olympus being slow a little more?
for instance, could you compare 2 vs. 3 in specific functions? what i mean is, 2/3 performance comparison on:
  • index page
  • viewforum page
  • viewtopic page
  • posting
can you attribute it to specific style? ie., do you see same performance issues with prosilver and subsilver2?
standard disclaimer:
backup your db and files before you do anything.
absolutely no guarantee.
if you do what i advise and it blows in your face, all you'll hear from me is: "ah... sorry, i guess"
ryan1918dotcom
I've Been Banned!

Post by ryan1918dotcom »

I just got a dedicated server so there isn't any lag or problems on my board, much better that way.

Our users have posted a total of 78353 articles
We have 12635 registered users

For a little over a year it's doing pretty well!
http://www.ryan1918.com More than security.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

I think alot of slowness problems have to do with specific sections of the code.

Using the code in this thread helps tremendously. Also using a PHP accelerator is huge help. But alot of times some of the mods are poorly written. One example is the SMARTOR photo album. We have a photo gallery with over 460,000 pictures and with the base code of the Smator album, it was running very slow - unacceptably slow. We 1st tried to cut out alot of the unneeded functions and this still didn't help. Then we found that there was code that was manually counting every picture in every category each time a page was loaded. As you can imagine, this was just poor code writing on the mod authors part. By simply changing the count to a constant and using simple updates, the mod 100% better. So if you are running into slowness problems, its best to look through the code for each function and strip away unneeded functions and then optimize the remaining code as has been done in this thread.
da_badtz_one

Post by da_badtz_one »

JLA wrote:I think alot of slowness problems have to do with specific sections of the code.

Using the code in this thread helps tremendously. Also using a PHP accelerator is huge help. But alot of times some of the mods are poorly written. One example is the SMARTOR photo album. We have a photo gallery with over 460,000 pictures and with the base code of the Smator album, it was running very slow - unacceptably slow. We 1st tried to cut out alot of the unneeded functions and this still didn't help. Then we found that there was code that was manually counting every picture in every category each time a page was loaded. As you can imagine, this was just poor code writing on the mod authors part. By simply changing the count to a constant and using simple updates, the mod 100% better. So if you are running into slowness problems, its best to look through the code for each function and strip away unneeded functions and then optimize the remaining code as has been done in this thread.
I have to admit that is true. I have rewritten a few mods because of badly programmed queries or logic within the code. They were not written to scale well which is why some phpBB sites perform badly when it comes to serverload. I have no basically written up all of the mods I use myself based on the mods author's ideas to be optimized for large forums. I run a forum with nearly 2million posts and 1000's of users online and a small slow queries is detrimental.
Alex.Prisoner

Post by Alex.Prisoner »

Not to be rude lanzer but I always though you just paid people to do your coding but looks like you know how to code yourself :D
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

This topic was started in 2003, when Gaia was a much smaller site and lanzer did more work himself.
Moof!
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Dog Cow wrote:This topic was started in 2003, when Gaia was a much smaller site and lanzer did more work himself.
So you are saying LANZER doesn't do the work on his site now himself?
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I would imagine he is still very much involved, but I wonder how much actual coding he does now rather than managing the site and related stuff.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

When your site gets bigger, you can assign jobs that you used to do by yourself to others.
Moof!
cricricri

Post by cricricri »

yes, it is
Last edited by Jim_UK on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Check your PM box
evolve123

Post by evolve123 »

testing :D
Last edited by drathbun on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There is a test forum, use it, thanks.
lanzer

Post by lanzer »

Dog Cow wrote:So you are saying LANZER doesn't do the work on his site now himself?
As far as the forum is concerned, that's actually true. There are 35 of us all working on different aspects of the site, and the forum section has its specific owner, then we're finishing up on building a universal posting engine that will facilitate message posting across all features with shared code base and the same database structure (from forums to commenting profiles to journal entries). I can't take credit as "the only guy who works on Gaia" anymore. :) I'm more like a product manager than a programmer these days.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Uh-oh, Lanzer has mis-quoted me! :?
Last edited by Dog Cow on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moof!

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”