Can I use just the emoticons?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
rbrome

Can I use just the emoticons?

Post by rbrome »

I would like to use just one very small part of phpBB for my site, and want to know if this is okay.

I have developed my own forum system. Not because I don't like phpBB - it's just that a large part of why I run my site is because I enjoy web development. So I created my own system basically for the fun and challenge of it.

I want to add emoticons to my system. I think emoticons add an important dimension to online discussion. They help people express and interpret ideas as intended - preventing light-hearted messages from being taken too seriously, etc.

Since the phpBB emoticons are already familiar to many people, I would like to use them for my forums as well. That way people would not have to learn a whole new set of emoticons (which would lessen the primary goal of trying to make discussions easier to interpret correctly).

So my question is: Can I use the standard set of phpBB emoticons - including the text symbols, GIF images, and names - on my web site, without using any other part of phpBB? ...or does the license prohibit this?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I'm not a voice of authority, but I believe that you can.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Young~Money

Re: Can I use just the emoticons?

Post by Young~Money »

rbrome wrote: So my question is: Can I use the standard set of phpBB emoticons - including the text symbols, GIF images, and names - on my web site, without using any other part of phpBB? ...or does the license prohibit this?

I would say since you think so highly of the phpBB Group, you should put some recognition of them somewhere, then all should be well.
doggroups

Post by doggroups »

I agree with Young~Money that you probably should add some recognition to phpBB. I would think you would be able to use the emoticons for your forum under the license
goa103

Post by goa103 »

Reading the emoticons topic the answer is yes, as long as your project is licensed under the GPL.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”