Who installs more than one style/theme?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Darth Wong

Who installs more than one style/theme?

Post by Darth Wong »

Who else has more than one theme available on their phpBB board?

I personally have a bunch of themes available, but that creates headaches when trying to install certain MODs that make you edit the template.

It seems to me, from looking around, that the majority of boards only have one theme installed. Anybody else allow their users to select from more than one theme?
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
The Pelican
Location: Home is where the heart is (which happens to be in the Netherlands)

Post by The Pelican »

I used to have 3, now only have 2.
The Pelican :)
Knowledge Base || No PM support and no MSN or E-mail support || Asking Questions The Smart Way (and use the template)
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

I have 1 theme installed that fits into my site. Btu I have about 10 installed on my styles demo :lol:
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

I have 5 - one with two CSS variants. My two original dark themes, and since some folk prefered light themes, i provided two.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I just have two, and I'm not sure that the second one works. :P

As for the whole "MOD" problems, note that in 2.2, themes such as subVereor could be created based on the subSilver html files, with just new images and a style sheet. AFAIK that is all subVereor (or really any of the "subClone"s) is in 2.0.x. Thus you could have about 5 themes and only MOD it once.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Torm3nt

Post by Torm3nt »

I've' only got 2 for my personal site - but for the gaming network I'm doing - I have to do 12. hehehe. Some with CSS variants.
Emberem

Post by Emberem »

I have four because I thought it was a good idea at first. Then I installed a few mods and after it I wanted to add another template. Thank goodness there weren't many files to edit in the new template. :? Otherwise I might not have bothered.
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

166 on my test forum (all unique styles, no duplicates. probably i have all existing styles there. about 20 of those are unreleased or custom).

15 on my styles demo forum (11 publicly available, 4 hidden).

..and no mods except for those that don't require changing tpl files.

:D
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

On one I helped to design, there are 2 themes, but only one template to make changing the template easier. The difference in the themes is purely in text sizes - one is absolute as subSilver, the other uses relative sizes.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
jbay

Post by jbay »

we have several themes (6? 7? something like that). The vast majority of the users stick with the default theme (subSilver in our case) and the next most popular is a "dark", higher-contrast theme. And yes, it's a gigantic pain to maintain more than one or two themes when you start modding.
RyanThaDude29

Post by RyanThaDude29 »

I would agree that MODing is a pain with more than one style. I had four on my site, but now down to one, just because of the portal I built for my site. Was too much to make the custom changes to the overall header, plus all the new button and images to create to match the new styles.

I am trying something new, to go through some subSilver-type themes, make them more like subSilver in code, and use EasyMOD to install. Of course, going through non-compliant MODs make it much more painful, but what else do I have to do with my free time?? :lol:
Please, no PM or email requesting support. They will go unanswered.
coterg

Post by coterg »

i think one shud go for simple & one theme atmost 2 themes to make it more siumple & understable rather than high themes which makes it complex
gfmorris

Re: Who installs more than one style/theme?

Post by gfmorris »

Darth Wong wrote: Who else has more than one theme available on their phpBB board?

I personally have a bunch of themes available, but that creates headaches when trying to install certain MODs that make you edit the template.

It seems to me, from looking around, that the majority of boards only have one theme installed. Anybody else allow their users to select from more than one theme?

I do so, but as I modify the code more and more, the more inclined I am to go back to one theme that's hacked from subSilver.

GFM
--
Geof F. Morris
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

One for me. For the reason(s) already mentioned. Primarily modifications, either downloaded or custom. Users don't seem to mind... at first I offered subSilver, subRed, and subGreen (at least all of those were in the same general look) and another that replicated a "vb" look. But when the board went live we went with only one theme available.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”