Some ideas..

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
nbtc971

Some ideas..

Post by nbtc971 » Thu May 02, 2002 6:23 pm

This is probably the wrong place to discuss this, but if the devs want to improve their product they won't care..

Here are 3 things I'd like to see. I believe that most people would benefit from atleast 1 of the following if not more..

1) I'd like to have an option to delete a user and ALL of his posts with one click of the button (eliminates spam from someone who has registered just to be a spammer)

2) An upgrade script that allows for a clean install but at the same time saves some important numbers such as, total posts, individual user post totals, and anything that records how many posts have been.. well, posted, in the past. I guess you could call it the "board history". This would allow for site admins to clean up a board that is starting to take up alot of db space, but at the same time retain all of the goodies that people don't want to lose.

3) An option to allow stickys and announcements to start rolling off from the top after a certain amount of time, or after the admin decides its time to allow those posts to go away. I don't think the only option for moving old stickys and announcements from the top should be deleting them.

Let me know what u think.. :)

btw.. i will add these to the features request on sourceforge.com

Stefan Koopmanschap
Former Team Member

Post by Stefan Koopmanschap » Fri May 03, 2002 11:13 am

I do agree with you especially on the features no 1 and 3 ...

especially the option to have an "expiration date" on stickies and announcements. or maybe just "user posted" stickies and announcements.

nbtc971

Post by nbtc971 » Fri May 03, 2002 4:38 pm

well i don't allow users to post, so i'd prefer the limit apply to all sticky and announcements. :)

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Fri May 03, 2002 4:41 pm

nbtc971 wrote: well i don't allow users to post

wow, must not get much traffic!! ;)
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Stefan Koopmanschap
Former Team Member

hmmm...

Post by Stefan Koopmanschap » Fri May 03, 2002 6:13 pm

nbtc971 wrote: well i don't allow users to post, so i'd prefer the limit apply to all sticky and announcements. :)

ok, well in that case it'd probably need to be customizable (just for users / all stickies and announcements)

Endy

Post by Endy » Fri May 03, 2002 8:43 pm

You don't have to delete stickies or announcements to get rid of them... just edit the first post and check the box to make them a normal thread instead of a sticky or an announcement.

Ambr0

Post by Ambr0 » Fri May 03, 2002 10:26 pm

All of the three are great ideas. Esp. idea #1. That will be extremely useful.

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Fri May 03, 2002 11:44 pm

Ahem I like the second idea the best. I hate it when you delete posts and then the total number of posts go down :( Infact I really hate it :evil:

MidnightPyro

Post by MidnightPyro » Sat May 04, 2002 2:57 am

I like the stickies going down over time. That would help a lot. 8)

chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos » Sat May 04, 2002 11:07 am

i'd only need no.1

interDist

Post by interDist » Sat May 04, 2002 11:22 am

I don't know about the second (maybe someone needs it really), but the first and the third should be very useful :lol:
announcement don't need to become "regular posts" after some time, 'cause they still have important info, but with the time it becomes outdated - so they need to simply go down.
" Stoiss has to die! ™ " And don't you say NO!

nbtc971

Post by nbtc971 » Mon May 06, 2002 9:39 pm

I definately meant to say i don't allow normal users to post stickys or announcements. ;)

Actually my favorite is #2. At some point my db is going to be too big and i'll want a clean install. By the time that comes around i could have around 50,000 posts. I really don't want that history to go away. And my users (mostly kids from ages 13-21) would really hate to lose their post totals and ranks.

However I also like ideas 1 & 3.. after all, i came up with them. ;)

AL

Re: Some ideas..

Post by AL » Mon May 06, 2002 9:53 pm

I'd like to have an option to delete a user and ALL of his posts with one click of the button (eliminates spam from someone who has registered just to be a spammer)

this should be pretty easy as a mod. as it is now, the user is deleted and all their posts are changed to guest posts. a mod could give an option when you delete someone to delete their posts as well. if you select 'delete posts too' then it would delete the posts.
one problem with this would be if they started a topic, and there was replied, what would happen? wouldn't the entire topic get deleted? this would have to be figured out, and thought thru to make sure you REALLY want this.
2) An upgrade script that allows for a clean install but at the same time saves some important numbers such as, total posts, individual user post totals, and anything that records how many posts have been.. well, posted, in the past. I guess you could call it the "board history". This would allow for site admins to clean up a board that is starting to take up alot of db space, but at the same time retain all of the goodies that people don't want to lose.

forum pruning does not lower post count. therefore at some time in the future you could prune the entire board down to almost nothing and it will keep all the post counts. isn't that what you need?
3) An option to allow stickys and announcements to start rolling off from the top after a certain amount of time, or after the admin decides its time to allow those posts to go away. I don't think the only option for moving old stickys and announcements from the top should be deleting them.

not sure my opinion on this one... as has been said already - you don't have to delete sticky/announcement, just edit the first post and change back to normal. BUT normally these contain special info and so do they need to be normal? if you really want a time limit on sticky/announcements then ask in the MODs forum and i think someone should be able to help.
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

AL

Post by AL » Mon May 06, 2002 9:56 pm

one more note on forum pruning... i know it doesn't affect individual post count... but i'm pretty sure it WOULD affect board total post count. the only way to keep this info would be to save it at some point in the config table, then when pulling board stats it adds the normal stuff to the history number in config. make sense?
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

nbtc971

Post by nbtc971 » Mon May 06, 2002 10:01 pm

I'm a php/mysql programmer for bank of america, i could program all this stuff myself, however i run a website and have a 9-5 job. I'd just really like to see these options built into the app, i don't want to program it myself cause i don't have the time. ;)

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”