administration improvements needed

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
anilone

administration improvements needed

Post by anilone »

PhPBB is obviously the best forum written in PHP. Did you notice that there are other free forums like WWG Forum (Web Wiz Guide) in ASP for windows and are as good as PHPBB? Take a look @ http://www.webwizguide.com. Given a good theme the WWG looks like: http://goto.glocalnet.net/diverse/invision_skin.gif Their administration menu is much better and has more options compared to PHPBB. If PHPBB could follow their administration style, we will be perfect. I guess our WYSIWYG editor should be little more advanced like a ASP.NETBB forum (http://www.dotnetbb.com). DOTNETBB let's users enter a swf movie. We sould also include a upload option (only .doc, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .mdb, .htm, .html, .xls, .ppt, and some documents and common files to ensure no misuse; there should a size limit option for admins, like new users can only uoload only 1 mb at max while mods can upload upto 3 mb). and users should be able to directly post images through editor. And when registering, the security image should be smaller and like the one NetSol uses (goto netsol.com and click on whois and then enter a valid domain, later it will give you a image; that looks very good) With these options included this will be a perfect forum, although it is near perfect now..
Thank you,
Anil Gaddam.
JJSmallballer

Post by JJSmallballer »

Ummm... there are hacks for phpBB for about all of those, or mods or whatever...
Do you play guitar?
Visit http://www.tabscentral.com

Going to be the best tabs site out there!
CLee

Re: administration improvements needed

Post by CLee »

anilone wrote: I guess our WYSIWYG editor should be little more advanced like a ASP.NETBB forum.

WYSIWYG editor? What WYSIWYG editor? And is such a thing really needed, much less wanted, on a message board?
anilone wrote: DOTNETBB let's users enter a swf movie.

*cringes* I don't really see the point of this. IMHO, Flash is already overused as it is and has no place on a message board. But if you must have it, there is a mod to include flash in posts.
anilone wrote: We sould also include a upload option (only .doc, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .mdb, .htm, .html, .xls, .ppt, and some documents and common files to ensure no misuse; there should a size limit option for admins, like new users can only uoload only 1 mb at max while mods can upload upto 3 mb).

Already available as a mod and will likely come standard in 2.2
anilone wrote: and users should be able to directly post images through editor.

*blinks* *blinks* I'm not sure what you are talking about here. But what's the problem with the current way images are handled?
anilone wrote: And when registering, the security image should be smaller and like the one NetSol uses (goto netsol.com and click on whois and then enter a valid domain, later it will give you a image; that looks very good)

Security image? I know that isn't default in phpBB and must be installed as a mod.
anilone wrote: With these options included this will be a perfect forum, although it is near perfect now..

It's far from perfect, thus why we have all of the mods to extend phpBB's functionality. But there is something to be said about providing a basic framework and letting mods fill in the rest. Not everyone needs a board with all known features. In fact, I would venture to guess that most don't use even half of those "features."

P.S. Let me also add that the definition of the perfect message board is different from person to person. On person's perfection is another person's bloat.
Last edited by CLee on Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

General Discussions isn't the place to talk about phpBB, and with phpBB 2.2 development getting along, the need for feature requests is best evaluated in the light of the phpBB 2.2 feature set and existing feature requests.

Pay a visit to http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/ to see phpBB 2.2 in development.
We should talk less, and say more.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Moving to phpBB Discussion.
They key is, check the MODs DB's here and on many other sites. If you're still not happy with it, and can't be bothered waiting for 2.2, feel free to try something else.
anilone

Sorry

Post by anilone »

Oh sorry for posting in wrong place. PHPBB is great and I stick with it. I just posted a couple of good ideas to be improved. E-Z. I will look around the MOD database. THANX.
Thank you,
Anil Gaddam.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”