Compatibility with Mozilla

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
MFootball

Compatibility with Mozilla

Post by MFootball »

Ok, here's the deal...

My site has been modified to have a teal background, everything, including the box to write messages in is teal. The letters, when typing, appear white or a canary yellow in the box. Anyway, in Mozilla the box is white, and the letters are white.

I get complaints from time to time from members complaining that they have to switch browsers sometimes when viewing my site. As I've said before, I'm currently running 2.0.0. So my thought is that the outdated software isn't compatible with Mozilla browsers.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to fix this? Or will it simply require an upgrade? I plan on upgrading soon, as soon as we make the move to a dedicated server my site is getting a total overhaul. Still, I'd rather not let this problem wait that long.

NativeMind

Post by NativeMind »

Got a URL and what version of mozilla?
Developer MX-System: modular portal for phpBB

MFootball

Post by MFootball »

All versions of Mozilla people claim they've been having trouble with.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Then you've a problem with your coding (probably the CSS); I have a background on the posting form on my site.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

DoD999

Post by DoD999 »

It will be bad HTML code your using i presume... may be worth running it through the W3C validators. If the code is up to standards, it should display perfectly on mozilla

slackmaster2k

Post by slackmaster2k »

I very much recommend that you do your development with Mozilla. Go grab firefox 0.8 at http://www.mozilla.org

IE can be sleazy sometimes, and will render things "correctly" even when you've made mistakes. You could call this a benefit or a detriment, depending on your perspective.

If you get your page looking right in Mozilla, there's a good chance it'll look right in IE too. So usually I'll be checking my progress in Mozilla, and then when I'm about finished I'll give it a look-over in IE. That seems to be the most efficient way to go about things.

DoD999

Post by DoD999 »

It doesnt have to be developed in Mozilla, but just checked, and bug fixing.

Also, there is Opera, which i use, which also should be tested.

zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

DoD999 wrote: It doesnt have to be developed in Mozilla, but just checked, and bug fixing.

Also, there is Opera, which i use, which also should be tested.

Every browser should be tested because every one of them renders pages a little bit different.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

DoD999

Post by DoD999 »

zeroK wrote: Every browser should be tested because every one of them renders pages a little bit different.

Exactly...

ANd every browser should render all pages the same if they are written properly...

slackmaster2k

Post by slackmaster2k »

DoD999 wrote:
zeroK wrote:Every browser should be tested because every one of them renders pages a little bit different.

Exactly...

ANd every browser should render all pages the same if they are written properly...

Not true. Try layer positioning in IE, Mozilla, Nutscrape, and Opera as an example.

DoD999

Post by DoD999 »

is layer positioning standards compliant though?

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”