May I remove "Powered by phpBB 2.0.0 © 2001 phpBB Group

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Enough to keep from sending the mafia after you, yes. ;)
super fun rainbow colour sig
Talen

Post by Talen »

Hmm... No one asked..
May I remove version from credits? And write something like "Powered by phpBB (c) phpBB group" ? Without mentioning version?..
Superweirdash

Post by Superweirdash »

Talen wrote: Hmm... No one asked..
May I remove version from credits? And write something like "Powered by phpBB (c) phpBB group" ? Without mentioning version?..

I guess so.. After all, you still are giving credit to the phpBB team, I guess...
Falco1199

Post by Falco1199 »

We'd prefer you to retain the full copyright message as displayed by the default board configuration. If you cannot do this (for good reason) we will be happy with just the "Powered by phpBB" notice (phpBB being linked to www.phpbb.com ).

"Powered by phpBB" is all they REQUIRE but the whole thing is reccomended. :wink:
:-D
roly

Post by roly »

NO

It MUST say the version
Briefly back. Doubt anybody remembers me.
Talen

Post by Talen »

roly wrote: NO

It MUST say the version

Why? Is there any reason, or something?
My board (will be :) ) heavily modified.. So, I wish to express respect to phpBB group, but version doesn't reflects actual version or something.. So what for it must be shown ?
chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos »

roly wrote: NO

It MUST say the version

it doesn't have to say the version, but we would like it to.
gatty

Post by gatty »

guys, does it realy matter?

i love phpBB, and after using ikonboard etc, i think that anything you get for free, should retain all copyright info.

I wouldn't like it if i spent many hours creating somehting, then have the credit 'stolen'. 'm not saying you want to steal the credit for phpBB, but just leave a few lines intact, let the world know how great phpBB Group realy is? :D
Gatty
www.gatty.net
Free Hosting With PHP/MySQL Support!

Image Search Before Asking!
thesky

Post by thesky »

some people are just dumb sick ...

just keep the copyright!! it is for the community. if everyone wants everything free yet do not wanna give credit, then i think they are sick. I am finalising some changes to my forum, and i intend to put the advert at the bottom of the pages that use ANY components from phpbb, no matter how small the component is.

That i feel is the only way i can repay back to the community that fed me with such a wonderful tool!
jackqu7

Post by jackqu7 »

thesky wrote: some people are just dumb sick ...

just keep the copyright!! it is for the community. if everyone wants everything free yet do not wanna give credit, then i think they are sick. I am finalising some changes to my forum, and i intend to put the advert at the bottom of the pages that use ANY components from phpbb, no matter how small the component is.

That i feel is the only way i can repay back to the community that fed me with such a wonderful tool!

Yup, every page from Siamese will have phpBB copyright as well because I've borrowed a few (small) components.
exudotcom

make them pay for it!

Post by exudotcom »

Instead of a wide and open hole interms of rules regarding that removing the copyright issue, why not coming up with a system that allows poeple to remove the copyright if they pay for it...
it is unlikely that poeple will pay and will certainly go ahead and remove the copyright, but at least it will the opportunity to honest user of phpbb, to whom the copyright is really an issue to be able to remove it and still stay supportive of the team (here by paying that fee!)
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

Our request so far as that displayed in the footer is clear. The copyright so far as that contained within the source is as required by the licence. We have said many times that we'll not accept any monetary offer in return for permission.
CLee

Re: make them pay for it!

Post by CLee »

exudotcom wrote: but at least it will the opportunity to honest user of phpbb, to whom the copyright is really an issue to be able to remove it and still stay supportive of the team (here by paying that fee!)

But know one has yet to explain to me why the copyright at the bottom of the forum pages is an issue. It's as unobtrusive as it can get and can be worked into any design by anyone with half a brain.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

I dunno. I only have half a brain, but it just seems like if I wanna use the software, I should just do as asked. If I don't like the expectations, I should just go elsewhere. The Group asks of us only one thing in exchange for using their work, and it just seems like that should not be too much to ask.

People sometimes complain about the copyright spoiling the look or feel of the page, and I don't mean to be indifferent to that, but it just seems to me that the page would look and feel a whole lot worse without phpBB altogether. So I get to use phpBB at no cost, which is a huge asset (as well as a huge gift), and they get a little chunk of my page. Seems like a pretty good deal, especially since no matter how I look at it, it's in my favor.
CLee

Post by CLee »

SamG wrote: People sometimes complain about the copyright spoiling the look or feel of the page.

I hate to sound like a complete ass by saying this, but I don't see how that can be remotely possible. It sounds more like an ego problem then a design issue.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”