The wait, the software, the now

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
L0cke

The wait, the software, the now

Post by L0cke »

Okay, I know the philosophy on PHPBB2.2 is "it's done when it's done," but is there even any remote possibility that you could say "soon" or "not soon"? My forum is old, very old. I never had the chance to upgrade it because my server can't run those patch files, or I just didn't know how. It's a heavily modded board, so now if I want to upgrade, I have to rebuild the whole thing from ground up.

So I'm left with the option.. wait for PHPBB2.2 on the old 2.0.2 software? Or rebuild with PHPBB1.0.10? Or finally dish out the big bucks for one of the "big guys"?

Don't get me wrong, I've loved PHPBB and the community, but my forum's getting bigger and it's demanding an up to date software. I have to admit I'm a bit lazy when it comes to coding, but if I'm coding on a new software that I haven't seen before, I get more interested.. hence my interest to move from PHPBB to something else. However, I'd be willing to wait it out for 2.2 if 2.2 was within say.. four months?

Can anyone give me that sort of time frame or a basic "soon" or "not soon," for the sake of me saving money? ;)

MoonBuggy
Former Team Member

Post by MoonBuggy »

It has already been stated that 2.2 should be finished sometime this year - that is all I know of the timescale, but your 'four months' deadline includes more of the rest of this year than it excludes, so mathematically at least there is the greatest probability of 2.2 being done within your timescale.
Above post comprised entirely of opinions © MoonBuggy. Cash value £0.02. Not redeemable in all stores. Check our website for full terms and conditions. Opinions come with no warranty either expressed or implied. ;)

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

The only timeframe you'll get on 2.2 is this year ;) (which should put it within 5 months). There are no more accurate timescales than that because there are too many things which can affect it.

If you were running 2.0.5 or higher there is an update route to 2.0.10 in the format of MOD instructions which you could use, but from your version you would have to use one of the other methods. I would seriously suggest you look at it, even whilst you wait for 2.2 since there are a number of known holes in 2.0.2
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!

L0cke

Post by L0cke »

Trust me, I looked into doing it manually once upon a time. I think I finished one update before I decided "My code is too modded to proceed with this."

PHPBB has been great for me, which is why it's sad for me to consider moving to a different software (as it also hurts my pocketbook), but if I'm going to build from ground up again, it's gotta be slightly different coding than what I've already done.. otherwise I'm jaded and uninterested, as I know what "the final product" will essentially be. I'm sure a lot of you, as coders, can relate to that. ;)

L0cke

Post by L0cke »

Wow.. over a year..

I uh, did upgrade to vBulletin btw. Pretty much the same as this, though. Maybe not worth the cash, but.. that's where I went!

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

well, well, we all know that it has taken longer than anticipated to get 3.0 out... however, there's no reason to bump a 1 year old topic. :wink: Locked.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”