Core Features

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Pit
Security Consultant

Core Features

Post by Pit » Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:00 pm

Sorry to plagerise, but BartVB (Penguin-hater though he may be ;) ) has a point about keeping the initial release time to a minimum. Hence I am posting another copy of the list Jay assembled, but with the features stripped down to the core. If you would like to see a feature but don't think it's important, put it in the other list. If you think I have missed a vital feature, included a trivial one, or would just like me to shut up, just say :D

General Features
  • News
    • Possibility of Email a friend option.
    • Add a comment about News
  • Polls
    • (of course building upon the phpbb system)
  • Downloads (could be done with simple links, not really a feature)
  • Forum
  • Language Support?
  • User Accounts
    • maybe change the theme, as in phpBB, but also change the colors to one's preference
  • Logging in on any page
  • Site search
Admin Tools
  • fully templatable (system already in place )
  • extensive News-System
  • combined phpbb/pp User management
  • Some or all portal functions accessible from an integrated control panel
    • (using the "drop in" modular format of the v2 admin panel)
    • Administrator has the option to set "extra" viewing options
    • (for when users are browsing the board via the portal-ie. don't show the page-header, etc.)
  • Online content management through forms etc. (another very obvious one), with bbcode or similar (ppcode)
  • User Groups
    • certain sections of the page available to only usergroups, so a certain group can get access to certain areas, where another group could have access to different areas, or even a little overlapping of other groups.
    • certain groups have access to post a new topic other groups only have access to post a reply
Statistics
  • topic (thread/news/picture/any item) X times seen, X timesdownloaded, X times commented, etc
Other Misc Features
  • Browsing forum from portal (with portal menu bars etc still visible)
  • Feedback form
    • also has to mail the admins all feedbacks
    • (could utilise hidden boards in forum for displaying)
  • Ability to run without dependance on forums.
  • User last seen (or last logged in)
    • a list of online users.
Last edited by Pit on Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
super fun rainbow colour sig

The_Systech
Former Team Member

Post by The_Systech » Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:00 pm

Totally.. OT... Bart doesn't hate penguins... Bart loves penguins... in moderation :mrgreen:
Jonathan L. Haase - Ex-Senior Developer phpBB

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:02 pm

[MORE_OT]
Try telling that to the homeless penguin that used to live in my signature. ;)
[/MORE_OT]

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:31 pm

...keeping the initial release time to a minimum.

I am, more than anyone interested in a fast release of phpPP! (it maybe hard to pronounce, but it's easy to type) I have a paid hosting that sits empty for a month now, waiting for a portal system.
Hence I am posting another copy of the list Jay assembled, but with the features stripped down to the core.

Waaait a minute... This list does not seem much shorter than Jays... You'll have to shorten it quite a bit for a speedy release.

Print news, Reviews, User-defined themes, Multilanguage... Those are not really needed for the core. I mean, if I want a bulgarian version, I'll translate the language file for 2-3 days and that's it. Print news could be an addon, the user-defined themes too.

Come on, let's make it short, I want (I NEED) that portal even before phpBB2 comes out! Another month of empty-hosting-space-keeping-and-no-portal-to-use is coming...

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:06 am

Well if you really want to strip it down what about this? that's not too much...

p.s. anyone get logged off even though you check the box to keep you logged in?

General Features
  • News
    • Print News option
    • Email a friend option
    • Add a comment about News
  • Forum
  • User Accounts
    • basic access to log into the forum
  • Site search
Admin Tools
  • fully templatable (system already in place )
  • extensive News-System
  • combined phpbb/pp User management
  • Some or all portal functions accessible from an integrated control panel
    • (using the "drop in" modular format of the v2 admin panel)
    • Administrator has the option to set "extra" viewing options
    • (for when users are browsing the board via the portal-ie. don't show the page-header, etc.)
  • Online content management through forms etc. (another very obvious one), with bbcode or similar (ppcode)
  • User Groups (already built into phpBB2)
    • certain sections of the page available to only usergroups, so a certain group can get access to certain areas, where another group could have access to different areas, or even a little overlapping of other groups.
    • certain groups have access to post a new topic other groups only have access to post a reply
Statistics (i think this basic stuff is already in phpBB2)
    • topic (thread/news/picture/any item) X times seen, X timesdownloaded, X times commented, X timesprinted. Top 10 of those, ie.

scotshin7

Core Features

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 2:06 am

The Black Pit wrote: Other Misc Features

Ability to run without dependence on forums? Nah... it's suppose to be based on phpBB2 ;)
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

gameofhit

Core Features

Post by gameofhit » Thu Nov 15, 2001 2:50 am

scotshin7 wrote: Ability to run without dependence on forums? Nah... it's suppose to be based on phpBB2 ;)

I dunno, IMO it would be very useful to have it so that forums are not required.

I think it would be nice to make it so that it was modular in a way that made it easy to add/remove the forum feature. Especially if you could take a site that had the portal and forum together, and remove the portal, so that only the forums were left. 8)

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:07 am

We shouldn't modify the forum code though, it makes it easier to "upgrade" from forum-only users... Portals and forums seperated, that's fine, as long as the core(mainly /includes/ and /db/) stays on both ;)
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

Jay
Former Team Member

Core Features

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:05 am

absinthe wrote: I dunno, IMO it would be very useful to have it so that forums are not required.

what if there was a switch or something to make the forum, which powers the system, private so only people who update the site can see it and not the public?

Pit
Security Consultant

Core Features

Post by Pit » Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:01 pm

scotshin7 wrote:
The Black Pit wrote: Other Misc Features

Ability to run without dependence on forums? Nah... it's suppose to be based on phpBB2 ;)

Yes, but could we not distribute the files it needs that are part of phpBB2 in a separate package, so that people who had no need for a forum could still use it as a CMS? Because that would'nt exactly be a feature that developers would have to make, would it? Anyone with half a brain could do it. ;)

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:45 pm

We should make a topic for every single feature so it might be easier to keep focused.

A Topic for
  • News system
  • Polls system
  • Downloads
  • Admin
  • User Groups
  • User Management
  • Statistics
  • Template System

This is just a suggestion, feel free to comment. :)

It's called object oriented programming guys. Time to use my UML knowledge...

*ducks and runs away*

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:01 pm

Keep in mind that if this is being based on 2.x then both templates and usergroup/auth originate from this (IOW don't suggest anything that will compromise 2.x, because it won't happen ;) ... consider this a first shot across the bows :D ).

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:11 pm

psoTFX wrote: Keep in mind that if this is being based on 2.x then both templates and usergroup/auth originate from this (IOW don't suggest anything that will compromise 2.x, because it won't happen ;) ... consider this a first shot across the bows :D ).

i agree... i know that i wouldn't want to rewrite anything that is already written.. :D i think what we need to know is what is already in phpBB 2.0 that we don't need to worry about?

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:58 pm

But we DO know what's in phpBB2, right? You can see it on this board, on your CVS and so on.

Anyway, so we won't suggest features, that are implemented in phpBB2, right? Come on, let's move on, I'm inpatient to see what will come out of this!

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:04 pm

Indeed, but certain additions will be made to 2.2, templates and auth will change some (or that's the intention). The point I'm making is, people putting down essential features such as "templates", or "usergroups" is somewhat pointless, they're inherent to the project ... at least they are if you're using 2.x

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”