Core Features

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:52 pm

well then why don't we list all the features we would like and if it's already in phpBB 2.0 then we can make a note of that fact off to the side of the feature.. that way people won't be confused etc...

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Thu Nov 15, 2001 11:38 pm

Good idea, Jay, I hope you'll edit your features-post accordingly. Black Pit will do the same, I hope.

And is it possible to have some information about what's supposed to go in BB2.2, so we can consider it when talking features for the PP?

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:14 am

you all will have to tell me if i miss something that is supported by phpBB 2.0 etc.. :)

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:17 am

You can count on that...;)

Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:51 am

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (or if I've missed the point of the portal completely!) but what my visitors really want is a yahoo-type listing facility where they could submit hyperlinks under various categories. If these could then be 'ranked' (by moderators, or by having a voting system) that would be great.

Vaz

Post by Vaz » Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:54 pm

Jay wrote: [..]
  • Print News option
  • Email a friend option
  • Add a comment about News
    [/list:u]

maybe don't you think, clicking add comment will go to a thread in phpBB forum?

Personally what's the point of creating a portal that's looks same as PHP-Nyke and Slashdot?

Tried PHP-Nuke and gave up due bugs and hassles.

Maybe we should make portal unique and, as MS likes to say: innoative :D

I wouild like to be part of portal project ;)

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:06 pm

Well it seems to be a community project ATM ;), so you can make any contribution you like.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:33 am

i've been meaning to make this comment.. but the user of the portal should have the option not to use phpBB2 as their forum.. IMO they should be able to choose whatever forum software they want to use but use the phpBB as a hidden forum just to update their site etc...

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:39 am

If that's the way the project goes then as far as I'm concerned it (obviously) cannot be a phpBB Group project ... I'm not speaking for the other devs mind (though I suspect they'll say the same).

KoRnholio

Post by KoRnholio » Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:41 am

maybe don't you think, clicking add comment will go to a thread in phpBB forum?

Perhaps clicking add comment should go to add reply to thread in the forum.

Maybe when news is posted, a thread is automatically created for it in a specific forum...

AL

Post by AL » Sat Nov 17, 2001 5:27 am

i've been meaning to make this comment.. but the user of the portal should have the option not to use phpBB2 as their forum.. IMO they should be able to choose whatever forum software they want to use but use the phpBB as a hidden forum just to update their site etc...

sorry, but i too totally disagree with this. phpBB is a great bb and with the portal it will totally kick @$$! phpBB already has many of the feature that are needed... so why rewrite stuff when we can use what's already available.

[rant]
if you don't want to use phpBB that's your perogative, but from the response in the last few days i'm pretty sure there WILL be a phpBB portal. so you are with us, or you are on your own.
[/rant]
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 17, 2001 9:04 am

well i didn't say that phpBB doesn't kick @ss.. because it does.. i'm just thinking about all those sites out there that use say UBB, vB, or some variation as their forum.. do you really think that they are going to want to toss out their forum just so they can run a portal? i think we would get a lot more people running the portal if phpBB didn't have to be the forum you HAVE to use with the portal.

i've seen a lot of discussion on the fact that phpBB and the portal should be seprate anyway.. and i've seen discussion that the phpBB group may not want to take a portal under their wing for various reasons..

please understand that i'm NOT saying "don't use phpBB for the portal" b/c i'm NOT saying that at all.. what i am saying is that people who use the portal software based off of phpBB should be able to have a choice to be able to run other Forum software like UBB, vB, or something else if they would like.. i'm NOT saying base the portal off of UBB, vB or anything cause that would be just dumb...

just an opinion... and i hope i made it clear.. :)

devoutus

Post by devoutus » Sat Nov 17, 2001 9:11 am

you can run another forum it just wont be intergrated. :lol:

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:14 pm

Jay wrote: please understand that i'm NOT saying "don't use phpBB for the portal" b/c i'm NOT saying that at all.. what i am saying is that people who use the portal software based off of phpBB should be able to have a choice to be able to run other Forum software like UBB, vB, or something else if they would like.. i'm NOT saying base the portal off of UBB, vB or anything cause that would be just dumb...

You can't expect us (phpBB Group) to support a project that purposely allows someone to do away with what is our main product ... I'm surprised the other devs haven't commented on this (haven't seen it I guess).

So I suggest a decision is made very very very soon as to whether there is general consensus that this portal allow the integration (plug-in) of alternative forums (doing away with phpBB). If there is then we (phpBB Group) will have to decide whether to continue supporting the project (I heavily suspect we won't) ... not a threat this, it just doesn't make any sense for us.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:27 pm

I don't see the point either...Why should a portal for phpBB support other forums?
super fun rainbow colour sig

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”