Should the forums be seperatable from the portal? - Poll

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.

Should the forums be seperatable from the portal?

Sort of seperatable(both do not depend on each other, but the forum code is hacked/modified)
36%
Unseperatable(both depend on each other to work, and the forum code is severely hacked/modified)
14%
Other
50%

Total votes: 22

scotshin7

Should the forums be seperatable from the portal? - Poll

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:57 pm

Your opinions? Please reply if you chose "Other".
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:00 pm

I think we already aggreed that the Forum will remain a stand alone product. Paul and other developers made this clear. I think the best way is to have the portal available in a stand alone package (including all necessary files from phpbb) and as a mod for phpbb.

hsim

Post by hsim » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:04 pm

Portal depends on the forums but only uses existing functions.
None or just minimal hacking of the board itself required.
Last edited by hsim on Sun Nov 18, 2001 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
email me: hsim at gmx.li

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:05 pm

I voted "Completely Seperatable" I think that if they can operate independently that would be great. I do also think that it would be important for there to be powerful interfacing capabilities; like the example of making a new news item will start a thread in the forum.

Just off the top of my head it seems like it would almost be best if the portal and forums were both independent, and then there would be another set of code (module) designed for interfacing them. It would make installion more difficult, but I think it would encourage modularity. If it were done like this, it might also make it possible for others to write interface modules to integrate other scripts/software into the portal.

Any thoughts? I realize that this suggestion is kind of vague, but it could be developed :mrgreen:

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:07 pm

dhn has already pretty much defined it, but let me reiterate the Group stance of this (as Lead of 2.x development and James' opinion in terms of overall group activitiy).

phpBB Group is very happy to bring a portal under it's wing. It'll be a separate project from phpBB but will (can) work closely with us (2.x developers) to create common ground and ensure the portal remains constantly in-sync with 2.x, making use of modules already created and making use of plans already in place for future development.

If this portal wishes to do things which are at odds with 2.x development, if this portal wishes to treat 2.x as nothing but a module, if this portal wishes to be distributed without a forum then it's best that it be entirely separate from phpBB Group since our focus remains a high quality fully featured forum.

Therefore, this particular topic is a moot point as far as a phpBB Group portal is concerned.

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:25 pm

psoTFX wrote: dhn has already pretty much defined it, but let me reiterate the Group stance of this (as Lead of 2.x development and James' opinion in terms of overall group activitiy).

phpBB Group is very happy to bring a portal under it's wing. It'll be a separate project from phpBB but will (can) work closely with us (2.x developers) to create common ground and ensure the portal remains constantly in-sync with 2.x, making use of modules already created and making use of plans already in place for future development.

If this portal wishes to do things which are at odds with 2.x development, if this portal wishes to treat 2.x as nothing but a module, if this portal wishes to be distributed without a forum then it's best that it be entirely separate from phpBB Group since our focus remains a high quality fully featured forum.

Therefore, this particular topic is a moot point as far as a phpBB Group portal is concerned.

:?:

BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:29 pm

Agree with Paul on this matter..

Furthermore the options are not correct.. You should at least have something like 'forum is stand alone with the Portal as an addon'.. IMO the forum won't be 'severely hacked'. There can be adjustments to facilitate some Portal features but IMO that's as far as we should go. And IMO more won't be needed anyway..

So the forum is standalone with an addon Portal.
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:31 pm

Then phpBB is the main component, and you could add modules to it? and for the modules to work, you need phpBB? What I meant by "modules" is enchanments to the board, not the portal...

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:37 pm

i voted for other.. here's my thinking about it.. there should be a switch that makes it to where if you want the forums to be public or not public then you as the administrator should be able to choose that.. making the forum private will only allow those who have access to it to make posts to the site.. other visitors to the site will have no idea it's even there.. i also think that if you want to use a forum in your portal you should have the option to hide and show forums that you use to update the site etc..

just my .02! :D

vandal

Post by vandal » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:57 pm

this is exactly what i was talking about in my previous post
it makes no sense to have a portal system that requires a forum

you will have to seperate the core functions from the forum and turn the forum into a module

this might not create alot of work
but its an important design concept

otherwise you don't need to call this things portal .. because all you will end up with is a forum that has a bunch of non forum related addons

things will be messy that way

this modularization will probably create a minimal overhead ... if this is unacceptable to the phpbb core group then imho this entire project has a little problem

because that means that, if they want a decent modular concept, they will only be able to include a hacked version of phpbb -> phpbb and phppp will not automatically stay in sync

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:02 pm

The core functions are already separated, as I said in a previous response to you. I still don't see any problem in working a front end with additional modules from 2.x. If you don't want the forum enabled, fine, just disable it, but the point is it makes no sense for us to turn 2.x into a minor project within a portal, that's not our goal, our goal is to compete with and if at all possible move beyond our direct competitors.

I add that vB has portal software based upon, indeed entire sites have built themselves around vB. In my case I've built a news system around 2.x, a portal is after all a set of core features (provided as you say by modules which as I said are already present in 2.x) bolted around a front end. The only thing I'm saying is that it cannot and should not be made optional as to 'forum plugins', it's 2.x or nothing at all ...

hsim

Post by hsim » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:04 pm

But if the Portal doesant depend on phpBB, well, it has nothing to do with phpBB itself.
If it even allows to use with other bulletin board systems.... what would be the point on writing a phpBB Portal???
imo, a phpBB Portal should be something that actually uses the phpBB members DB, the phpBB forum itself, its routines ASO.
For the news area a special forum/category that can be hidden. For entries and edits using phpBB posting routines.

So just go away and start your own Portal Project, completely independent.

Just my 2 ?¢
Last edited by hsim on Sun Nov 18, 2001 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
email me: hsim at gmx.li

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:17 pm

I sincerely hope you are not telling a fellow user to go away...At leats, not in a bad way... ;)
super fun rainbow colour sig

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:19 pm

Indeed, that's my main point, let me share a potential dir layout ...

/
- admin
- includes
- modules
- lang - lang_english (lang_main, lang_main_module_x)
- templates - subSilver (admin, module_x)

index.php
forum.php
memberslist.php
posting.php (in a new modular form as already on the 2.2 feature list)
etc.

The thing here is the portal gains modules, uses the core features of 2.x but retains 2.x as the forum (whether it's enabled or not being up to the admin).

However, I do appreciate what Vandal is saying, I'm just not too concerned it's as big an issue at this moment as is perhaps suggested.

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:48 pm

I agree with psoTFX. I think that phpBB and the portal should remain seprate. However, we can grab features that phpBB uses. We can reuse a lot of the code they have to offer and we can porbably use the same database schema that they use. So in a sense if you wanted to use phpBB as your forum it would be a very easy install since most if not all the database would already be there.

You would just pretty much just "lay" phpBB on top of the protal DB or if you had phpBB installed already you could just "lay" the portal ontop of the DB. As long as the DB schema stays the same and the functions of phpBB stay pretty much the same (or i should say function in the same manner as far as what they take in and return) I don't really see a big problem in keeping the two project completely seprate for the most part.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”