Should the forums be seperatable from the portal? - Poll

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.

Should the forums be seperatable from the portal?

Sort of seperatable(both do not depend on each other, but the forum code is hacked/modified)
36%
Unseperatable(both depend on each other to work, and the forum code is severely hacked/modified)
14%
Other
50%

Total votes: 22

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:21 pm

So is the portal kind of wrapped around phpBB?
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:41 pm

e.g., the portal uses stuff in /includes/... (such as sessions.php or auth.php)

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:44 pm

Yes, exactly, that's the way I would go. A lot of basic features of 2.x could also be retained, groupcp.php, profile.php (or usercp as it will be), memberslist.php, etc.

The major difference being the addition of a modules dir (functioning much like the admin modules though some thought will have to be given in terms of streaming data) and moving of the current phpBB 2.0 index.php to say forum.php.

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:46 pm

Let me ask you(developers) something: Are you involved in this project, or have a lot of control over it?

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:49 pm

I'm just the Lead for 2.x making my 2p known ... if you'd rather I shut up just say the words ...

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:50 pm

scotshin, this what we are trying to decide here. :)

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:57 pm

:| I'm missing something here...

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:00 pm

I think what dhn means is THIS PROJECT HAS NO DEVELOPMENT TEAM YET.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:53 pm

The Black Pit wrote: I think what dhn means is THIS PROJECT HAS NO DEVELOPMENT TEAM YET.

that's true.... but how to find the right one :)?
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

Firejava
Location: Town were only thing to do is gamble at the riverboats

Post by Firejava » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:16 pm

I agree with pso on this one, except I don't think phpBB should support it in any way. Kind of like the hacks for phpBB 1.4. You know they are there, but you don't support them.

I think if you are to create a portal, build it off phpBB. I think phpBB will do most of what a portal needs with a few additions. Kind of sounds like template work to me, but I don't understand templates yet, so shows you what I know

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:22 pm

I'm just asking that whether this is a project done by community(that doesn't mean developers can't participate at all), or is it done by developers + community?

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:56 pm

scotshin7 wrote: Let me ask you(developers) something: Are you involved in this project, or have a lot of control over it?

If we take this project and wrap it in the phpBB infrastructure and community then yes, we're involved. However, whoever ends up being the lead on the portal project will have creative and design control.

I'd like it to end up so both teams sit down together at meetings and we plan out each projects so they can run smoothly together.
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

The_Systech
Former Team Member

Post by The_Systech » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:58 pm

If my supposition of the discussion that has been ongoing is correct, and mind you that this is only my supposition as one of the developers of phpBB2, I don't speak for the rest of the team... However if this is too fall under the Umbrella of the phpBB Group, like has been discussed would be the preferred method, then it would basically have a core group of developers which would be more or less "assigned" to work on it... Some of these might be some of the phpBB2 Dev team who are interested in this project... and it will most likely include others who would be "dedicated" to the portal side of the project...

This is the project as I see it anyway..

[edit]$#@ James beat me to a replay :D[/edit]
Jonathan L. Haase - Ex-Senior Developer phpBB

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Thu Nov 15, 2001 11:42 pm

The Black Pit wrote: I think what dhn means is THIS PROJECT HAS NO DEVELOPMENT TEAM YET.

It's about time someone did something about this, don't you think ;) ?

vandal

Post by vandal » Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:15 am

of course the point is to have a single member directory, single template system, single authentication system etc

i fear some of you (not talking about you paul) don't quite know how to build a complex architecture

you can just add features to a forum and think you have a portal system
a portal system needs much more flexibility

all components of course are tightly integrated into the core system and making heavy use of all pieces ...

this also means that all components of the forum that may be useful for other modules should be moved into a "library" .. this of course means that if that library needs certain extensions that may require changes to the API then the that will also affect the forum ..

and from what i gather the phpbb group only sees the portal part as a nice thing on the side ... therefore when lets say the news system requires a change to a "standard" component you will have a problem

if you then keep a news version and a forum version of that component you have defeated the purpose of portal architecture ..

i don't want to come off arrogant .. but I have done it before .. in my case I started off with a shop app .. added a news system and then rewrote the entire thing to a "real" application framework ... granted before the rewrite I was where maybe phpbb 1.x was at, so I don't see a need for an entire rewrite

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”