Should the forums be seperatable from the portal? - Poll

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.

Should the forums be seperatable from the portal?

Sort of seperatable(both do not depend on each other, but the forum code is hacked/modified)
36%
Unseperatable(both depend on each other to work, and the forum code is severely hacked/modified)
14%
Other
50%

Total votes: 22

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:26 am

You always have to find a way to spoil everyone's fun by telling them how crap they are, don't you? ;)
super fun rainbow colour sig

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:32 am

Lucky you put that ;) there :) (Although I'd still get annoyed if it was me :D ). Vandal has made some valid points which everyone should keep in mind (as I've pretty much said before).

However, my 'view' remains one of a portal based around the 2.x core functions (which as we've said may be influenced by the portal, though I do point out (again) not at the expense of the forum ... but I don't think this will be major issue ... for now ...) and directly integrated with phpBB 2.x (when I say 'integrated' I mean 'available', as in no other forum can be 'plugged-in' as could other modules (if people want this then there is no point in it being a phpBB Group project :D )

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:43 am

I never had any doubt that vandal's points were valid, I just find that they are all depressing (they are good points which come too late). ;)

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 16, 2001 2:51 am

What I'm thinking is that as long as the core functions that phpBB uses (i.e. bbcode functions and other functions that it uses, probably user, and group functions etc) don't change as far as what parameters they take and what they return, and the portal uses the same database schema as phpBB 2.0 i don't see why a portal system can't be based off of things that are already a part of phpBB 2.0

devoutus

Post by devoutus » Fri Nov 16, 2001 8:58 am

the only changes to the phpbb code should only be teamplet code.
that way it will be esay to update the fourm as i am shur that it will be updated more than the portal. becase this is a sub project of the phpbb.

vandal

Post by vandal » Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:51 am

hey my system (evil closed source) is modular ... and of course someone could programm another news system for it .. but heck why?

so just because phpPP will be modular will not mean that anyone will re-write some forum as a modul ...

of course phpBB's core components will be used etc .. the thing is just that you phpBB developers will need to accept certain changes to the core components that may not improve the performance or features of the phpBB .. that may even require API changes etc .. so be prepared :-)

on the upside of things: yes this project seems to have a nice kick-start with phpBB 2.0 being close to being released :-)

there! I have said something postiv .. happy?

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:00 pm

Yes :D

AL

Post by AL » Sat Nov 17, 2001 5:38 am

i think this has been explained, but i'll give my 2 cents (since i'm in a posting mood)

in order for the portal to have all the functionality that is planned it has to rely on the phpBB2.x engine. therefore the portal is dependant on the forum and cannot be seperated. here's where i'm a bit fuzzy in my thinking, and need to ponder some more. does the portal HAVE to modify the phpBB schema? why can't it just add it's own tables and use them leaving phpBB alone? if you adjust the phpBB schema for the portal then when phpBB2.2 comes out there may be a little more difficulty upgrading it (or maybe not...)

so to sum up this meandering group of unconnected thoughts... imo the portal is UNseperapable (sp) from phpBB.
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

vandal

Post by vandal » Sat Nov 17, 2001 8:23 am

of course it depends on phpbb .. but the question if is you pull everything out of phpbb that is not specifically needed for the forum .. or better that could be usefull to other modules

the schema does not necessarily have to change

but improvements tend to bring changes .. so the question is mainly, which dev team has the "right" to mess with the other team's API :-)

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Sat Nov 17, 2001 8:33 am

vandal wrote: of course it depends on phpbb .. but the question if is you pull everything out of phpbb that is not specifically needed for the forum .. or better that could be usefull to other modules

the schema does not necessarily have to change

but improvements tend to bring changes .. so the question is mainly, which dev team has the "right" to mess with the other team's API :-)

There is no quesiton. The main project will always be phpBB. I am starting to believe that it does not make sense to seperate BB and PP. As you will see in the features talkback phpBB should be used for a lot of reasons. And we won't have the developers umbrella (gee, i hate that metaphor) if we try to stay away from the forum.

devoutus

Post by devoutus » Sat Nov 17, 2001 8:35 am

of course that would phpbb they are the parent project...
and as :) pso has stated many time the portal will not change phpbb.
the portal will be built around the forum and not the forum around the portas

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:17 pm

devoutus wrote: of course that would phpbb they are the parent project...
and as :) pso has stated many time the portal will not change phpbb.

Not quite, what we've said is that portal development cannot do anything that adversely impacts phpBB.

If the portal requires something be done a certain way and that changes enabling this don't effect phpBB (or better yet, help improve phpBB) then the phpBB team will obviously consider making such changes.
Last edited by psoTFX on Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vandal

Post by vandal » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:17 pm

seems like there is a consensus then to keep the phpPP as a sub project of the pbpBB and not the other way around

(I will most likely not contribute code, so all I can do is lend advice)

time to move onto the next topics :-)

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 17, 2001 7:10 pm

vandal wrote: seems like there is a consensus then to keep the phpPP as a sub project of the pbpBB and not the other way around

i personally think that's the way to go...

Cy

Post by Cy » Sun Nov 18, 2001 6:03 am

Yes, the two should be completly seperate.. What my idea is like is that you have one big admin script(the portal i guess) then you have the mods,plugins, scripts(BB, news, BUG sytems, FAQ systems, shopping cart system) and all these could be removed, added, updated, and used through this admincenter(portal). Ranking sytems for the site "team" would be setup to where once you added a certin plugin, mod, or script that needed to use the raning system(almost all) you could add it to that certin user..
ex.
Admin - can do anything

Moderator 1 - News poster(only if news plugin/script/mod is installed)

Moderator 2 - Forum moderator(only if that plugin/script/mod is installed)

Moderator 3 - News poster, Forum moderator(only if those two plugins/scripts/mods are installed)

and so on... you get the idea.. the main admincenter would have no effect on the site design except for providing the services.. our sites shouldnt have to bend over for the script, it should bend over for the site.. so we make the scripts look like our site, not our site look like the script

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”