Should the forums be seperatable from the portal? - Poll

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.

Should the forums be seperatable from the portal?

Sort of seperatable(both do not depend on each other, but the forum code is hacked/modified)
36%
Unseperatable(both depend on each other to work, and the forum code is severely hacked/modified)
14%
Other
50%

Total votes: 22

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Sun Nov 18, 2001 7:19 pm

No, we should use the auth/group system of phpBB, much more flexible...
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:32 am

I personally think that phpBB should stay independent of phpPP (or whatever it's name will be). Although I do agree with pso and with what he says below.
psoTFX wrote: I did not say phpBB 2.x will not change to accommodate something the portal may require. I clearly said more than once that it will not change if that change is detrimental to the forum. Now common sense suggests that if a change is detrimental to one thing, and in this case the major component of the project, then it's a 'bad idea' anyway and should be re-assessed to find an alternative, superior solution.

I know that I wouldn't want to see all the work done by the phpBB2 team be so integrated that they can't concentrate on just the forum. That's not what they started out doing (making a protal that is). They started out to make the best forum on the net (and they have done a damn good job IMO and it's only getting better). I wouldn't want to interfere with their work because of a portal. However, I am glad to hear that the phpBB team might be willing to work with the portal team in smaller issues. I know that I don't want to see the two become dependant on each other. That would be bad. That's why I voted to keep the two separate but at the same time we could package them together as one big web community all in one (WCAO as a name? or OBWC? hmmm).

Like I've said before I can see the portal using some of the same code as phpBB (it would be dumb not too IMO). As log as the code of phpBB doesn't change as far as what functions take in and what they return it shouldn't be a problem. That's where the two teams will need to talk about things. If a function that is used by both the portal and phpBB change in that respect then the portal (IMO) should rewrite the function for it's software since it's a sub project of phpBB (rewriting a function shouldn't be hard anyway).

Anyway, if the phpBB team is going to be so gracious as to take this under their wing etc. the least we can do is let them continue work on what they started and not have to worry about the portal.
Last edited by Jay on Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:43 pm

Jay wrote: I personally think that phpBB should stay independent of phpPP (or whatever it's name will be). Although I do agree with pos...

For the record, that's the funniest mispelling of a developer's name I've ever seen :lol:
Jay wrote: Anyway, if the phpBB team is going to be so gracious as to take this under their wing etc. the least we can do is let them continue work on what they started and not have to worry about the portal.

I do somewhat agree, but if they're taking the project under their wing, it will become partially their responsibility as well. Basically, I'm just agreeing with the developers' stance - if some changes need to be made to BB in order for PP to work, then they can and should be made, just don't expect any major rewrites.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

vandal

Post by vandal » Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:27 pm

jay - you are totaly missing the point
the portal framework will have to address more general requirements than a forum .. therefore you cannot have the forum set the API's for the core components

of course there is nothing to say against having the same people working on the forum also working on the core components ... but they will have to wear two different "hats" at times

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:13 pm

Kanuck wrote: For the record, that's the funniest mispelling of a developer's name I've ever seen :lol:

OMG i can't believe i missed that! just for the record I went back and fixed it.. :D
vandal wrote: jay - you are totaly missing the point
the portal framework will have to address more general requirements than a forum .. therefore you cannot have the forum set the API's for the core components

of course there is nothing to say against having the same people working on the forum also working on the core components ... but they will have to wear two different "hats" at times

So could your points here be taken for the argument that the two should remain seprate? What would your suggestion be then? Have the two projects seprated and keep two different API's in the works?

vandal

Post by vandal » Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:20 pm

ok, i thought i allready platered my concept all over this forum .. but here I go again :-)

no .. you have a core project - phpPP - that builds a framework based on the phpBB framework

this framework will be modular and the forum will be one of the modules
the framework will have stuff like a templating engine, multilanguage support etc

searchengine and user authentication etc will be standard modules
while stuff like a news, poll and forum will be modules you can either use or not use

so phpPP will be based on phpBB but after that phpBB will draw from phpPP

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:26 pm

vandal wrote: ok, i thought i allready platered my concept all over this forum .. but here I go again :-)

no .. you have a core project - phpPP - that builds a framework based on the phpBB framework

this framework will be modular and the forum will be one of the modules
the framework will have stuff like a templating engine, multilanguage support etc

searchengine and user authentication etc will be standard modules
while stuff like a news, poll and forum will be modules you can either use or not use

so phpPP will be based on phpBB but after that phpBB will draw from phpPP

You're right, you did plaster your idea all over this forum, and if you keep it up, you're going to start pissing off a lot of people, because it's already been stated: phpBB is the core project. That fact is NOT changing.

phpBB will never become a module of phpPP.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

vandal

Post by vandal » Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:56 pm

yeah you are right ...
I think I have explained my reasoing often enough allready and I have given a simple example that should make my reasoning my clear in another thread

I just restated it because Jay asked for it ... so shoot him :-)

anyways I don't think I have much more to say on this topic unless I get asked or I come up with some totaly new idea

maybe I am just trying to get this project too well organized before it even started ... maybe some organic growth will make it easier for everybody ...

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:05 pm

The problem is Vandal this project is already 'well started', this project is called phpBB ...

The portal is a whole different affair and quite possibly several months away from a final release during which time 2.2 will also be in the works ... I'm also unsure how many times I need to repeat our line either ...

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:13 pm

I will close this poll as it is kinda pointless. :) I will open a new one with better options.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”