***Feature Talkback: Polls

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

***Feature Talkback: Polls

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:32 pm

It is very difficult to talk about all feature ideas in one thread. So to keep the ideas coming without loosing them I think the best idea is to open a thread for every feature to share ideas and get a rough idea what everyone thinks and how it might look in the final version. Please keep your postings focused on the respective topic.

So, what are your ideas about the POLLS system?

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:11 pm

...can the portal not just use the same polling technology as the forums; either as a shared resource or by reusing the code?

I think, to maintain consistancy, the polling should work exactly as the polling in the forums and be able to use the same template.

The only other thing I can think of, and it would have to be added to both phpBB and phpPP if it does not already exist in the code, is a way to limit people who take part in a poll so that the number of votes that person gets is restricted.

For instance... I run a role playing game, and when I hand out experience their is a player nominated award where the players can nominate someone for good gaming. With this system I could start a poll on the group's portal for an adventure, and if the adventure is going to run three weeks I can just allot each player three votes. Once they cast all thre they are locked out of the poll. They can see the results, but can no longer cast votes.

er... maybe that is all a little too much? I just think it would be nice to have a way to protect a vote from ballot box stuffing. Of course phpBB2 may already have this feature, I don't know...

Looks like I'll be setting up a test site this weekend and downloading phpBB2 so I can get a little more familiar with the inner workings of the beast. I might be more productive if I know what we have to work with. :idea:

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:22 pm

I would prefer a seperated poll system. Of course we can use most the code of the phpBB polls but we should also add some features and it should have its own table in the database. Of course it would be easier to have talkback feature if we stayed completly with the phpBB version but I don't really like it that way. :)

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:24 pm

Doubling up code is somewhat pointless and complicates the situation ... believe me :D

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:28 pm

I gotta agree... If we want more functionality we can always make feature request for future versions of phpBB! :o

Use what is already there, and make it easier for the user to maintain a consistent feel across a site.
psoTFX wrote: Doubling up code is somewhat pointless and complicates the situation ... believe me :D

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:30 pm

psoTFX wrote: Doubling up code is somewhat pointless and complicates the situation ... believe me :D

I believe you :)
Ok, before we decide how we do it we should find out what Users really want for their poll system. If everything can be realized through the phpBB system, why not take it.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:58 pm

I personally don't want anything more than the existing system.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Pix

Post by Pix » Sat Nov 17, 2001 10:22 am

The existing system looks to do everything I would need.

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:43 pm

As long as no one has a idea what else could be implented for polls (I myself don't have a clue :)) we should stick with the phpBB system.

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:23 am

How about polls with suboptions/checkboxes(instead of radio buttons) so people can choose more than more option if desired by the starter of a poll?
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

DK

Post by DK » Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:21 pm

I think the poll code should stay but display on the portal should be tweaked to be a little smaller, etc ala thatware or slashdot etc. the poll area should also be able to be turned on/off by the user and|or admin at their discretion

so I would say IMHO all features should be module based, similar to thatware

www.thatware.org/

Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant » Thu Nov 22, 2001 9:11 am

Well, the natural extension of Polls is to have questionnaires...

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”