***Feature Talkback: User Group

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

***Feature Talkback: User Group

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:33 pm

It is very difficult to talk about all feature ideas in one thread. So to keep the ideas coming without loosing them I think the best idea is to open a thread for every feature to share ideas and get a rough idea what everyone thinks and how it might look in the final version. Please keep your postings focused on the respective topic.

So, what are your ideas about the USER GROUP system?

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:59 pm

As already mentioned several times there should be no problems using the User Group System of phpBB2. In the News Feature topic the idea came up to have Group-specific news. I would like to take this a little further. I like the idea of having some kind of e-group built into the system. From the front page of the portal everyone can visit via one klick a page for every group he is subscribed to. Every group has its own discussion board and features like a file sharing area, a calendar etc. If someone else has ideas what might be interesting or useful in such a system please tell us. If anyone is against it please step forward and receive a beating .. uh ... I meant ... please criticize . ;)

I know that this might involve a lot of work but in my opinion it is worth it.

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:21 pm

So... and I'm rationalizing this for my simple mind. :P

The basic premise would be similar to taking phpBB and phpPP and installing 5 different instances of them for 5 different groups, only you would run all 5 groups from the same instance?

I don't see a problem with that. Although it sounds like it may be better suited for a later revision, once all of the other items are up and running.

I think the file sharing area and the calendar might both make good modules (features) for the core phpPP project however.

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:28 pm

Aristotle wrote: The basic premise would be similar to taking phpBB and phpPP and installing 5 different instances of them for 5 different groups, only you would run all 5 groups from the same instance?

Hmm, not exactly. I didn't mean to give a User Group a full phpBB Forum, just one for them which is hidden for all the others. But perhaps it would also be a nice idea to give them more private forums than one. Could be a little difficult but it is at least worth to be kept in mind.

AL

Post by AL » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:00 pm

how about a hidden category for each group? then the group mod can add forums. but then you get to an admin problem... right now there is not banning and other stuff for mods. in order to give mods the ability to add forums/etc. the admin would have to be updated - which isn't scheduled until 2.2

so for ease it would probably be better just to give each group a forum of their own.

i like the idea of the egroups type of thing :)
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:02 pm

Great idea AL, hidden category is the way to go.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:03 pm

AL wrote: how about a hidden category for each group? then the group mod can add forums. but then you get to an admin problem... right now there is not banning and other stuff for mods. in order to give mods the ability to add forums/etc. the admin would have to be updated - which isn't scheduled until 2.2

maybe this problem will be solved with subforums... just a thought that came up to me (this feature was requested serveral times and will be put on the wishlist :)
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:04 pm

yep, subforums are already on the list for 2.2

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:05 pm

I don't like subforums. They are evil. ;)

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:06 pm

psoTFX wrote: yep, subforums are already on the list for 2.2

great :) and this means that there will be changes to the admin of those (or they might be needed...) :-)
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:06 pm

Only those called Damien.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:35 pm

psoTFX wrote: Only those called Damien.

Hmm, sorry you know i am not an English boy *g*. could you explain what's or who's Damien?
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:39 pm

The Omen ... son of him down below, 666 and all that :D

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:41 pm

Tss, Thunder don't you watch South Park :)

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:10 am

dhn wrote: Tss, Thunder don't you watch South Park :)

i did it when they came out in the USA but then i saw the german version and it suxx *g* so i have never watched them again :)

btw: I just noticed that I got phpBB2 Groupie yeahh ;D
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”