***Feature Talkback: Admin Tools

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

***Feature Talkback: Admin Tools

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:36 pm

It is very difficult to talk about all feature ideas in one thread. So to keep the ideas coming without loosing them I think the best idea is to open a thread for every feature to share ideas and get a rough idea what everyone thinks and how it might look in the final version. Please keep your postings focused on the respective topic.

So, what are your ideas about the ADMIN TOOLS?

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:04 pm

Well, since it is will be using the phpBB core functions, obviously all the authorisation, configuration etc features of the phpBB admin panel. Plus usergroup access control for the entire site, which has already been suggested, and I believe someone did in fact write some code for that very purpose.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:15 pm

I'm guessing it would add commands on to the phpBB admin area for each of the modules (features) of phpPP. ...or did you have something more grand in mind?

I'd really prefer for the admin to be able to administrate the entire site from one page. If these features aren't added into the admin area of phpBB, then I think an admin page should be created with links to each feature. (i.e. Forums, News, Polls, etc..) This way the admin logs in once and has a captain's chair view of all of the features.

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:34 pm

The Admin section of phpBB is fantastic as it is very easy to add modules to it. Simply copy the files in the right directory and everything else is taking care of automatically. As for the seperation of Forum and Portal, I think it shouldn't be a big problem to port the admin section to a standalone Portal (although I am starting to believe that a standalone portal does not make much sense) ....

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:49 pm

I think I agree... in most instances you'll find at least a small set of forums where you find a portal.

I think standalone would be cool, and it might be possible. I just think that an overwhelming majority of the users would be using the portal because of the tight integration with phpBB. I guess it all depends on what would be most practical and what the users want.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:50 pm

Indeed...What good is a portal if it is a portal to NOTHING?

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:53 pm

I re-iterate the point I and other devs have made before ... a phpBB based portal without phpBB (I'm not talking admin disabled, I mean 'at all'), or worse, a phpBB based portal designed to allow other forums to be plugged-in is incompatible with phpBB Group goals.

We won't (and couldn't even if we wanted to) stop people developing something like this, but it'll never be brought under the phpBB Group umbrella.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:56 pm

psoTFX wrote: I re-iterate the point I and other devs have made before ... a phpBB based portal without phpBB (I'm not talking admin disabled, I mean 'at all'), or worse, a phpBB based portal designed to allow other forums to be plugged-in is incompatible with phpBB Group goals.

The only 'other' board that will be allowed is a modversion of phpBB2 ;-). ma i right? i am right *g+
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:57 pm

Right...

So it will be fully integrated. Which means that the admin areas most probably should be combined/integrated as closely as is possible to allow an admin to seamlessly oversee an entire site. You mentioned that the admin area is modular... I'll be looking into that tonight, but if so then I'm guessing that is the way to go.

|Foobar1

Post by |Foobar1 » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:00 pm

how about a whole template interegation like a web based template creater :P
NEE

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:21 pm

Eek...I think that would have to be for the second version of the portal...
But what I think would be nice is the ability to change what appears on the front page: IE not HAVING to have the news there.

devoutus

Post by devoutus » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:31 pm

a static fron page would be a good. for basic project company or whatever info.

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:55 pm

The thing i don't like is that if the portal was dependante on phpBB2 and the developers for phpBB2 came out with version 2.2 then everyone running the portal might not be able to upgrade their forum because there might be issues in 2.2 that aren't compatible with the portal hence the portal would have to come out with their own upgrade script.. i could see how this could get really messy if the portal was dependant on phpBB2 for administration stuff and for the user forum... i say keep them seprate..

hmmm.. would it be wise to have one DB for the portal and one DB for phpBB2? :?: the reason i say that is that we would probably want to use the same DB schema for the protal as well as the forums.. and if we keep them seprate but have the same table names etc that would be messy.. wonder if it would be too much of a pain to go in and rename all the tables to say "portal_XXX" or something like that.. ?? hmmm... :?
Last edited by Jay on Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:02 am

That is an issue that has been on my mind also, but I think it could be solved simply by communication between the portal developers and the phpBB developers, during the run-up to any release of 2.2, however far away that may be. :D

AL

Post by AL » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:54 am

from the comments made by theFinn and pso i believe that if it's under the umbrella of phpBB devs then there would be open communication between the groups. IOW when phpBB2 came out then the next version of the portal would come out as well.

if under phpbb umbrella then portal depdant on phpBB - so the versions will have to match. also you can't have multiple db because most hosts only give you 1. all tables need to use the same prefix since the db and the portal will be intertwined.

if you have a db already and want to install the portal it wouldn't be that hard... backup your phpBB data, run the portal/db install. the install should have an option for a new install, or upgrade an existing phpBB2 board (in which case it would just change all the table prefixes to the new prefix)

correct me if i'm wrong but the portal shouldn't modify the phpbb2 schema or there may be problems upgrading.
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”