***Feature Talkback: Statistics

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

***Feature Talkback: Statistics

Post by dhn » Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:40 pm

It is very difficult to talk about all feature ideas in one thread. So to keep the ideas coming without loosing them I think the best idea is to open a thread for every feature to share ideas and get a rough idea what everyone thinks and how it might look in the final version. Please keep your postings focused on the respective topic.

So, what are your ideas about the STATISTICS system?

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:15 pm

I'm not sure I understand what all "statistics" covers, even in general. Care to elaborate?

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:18 pm

Try these pages -
PostNuke
PHPNuke
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:42 pm

Oh I see...

Okay,

I'm really not impressed with browser stats or OS stats. I can see why some sites (particularly tech sites) might like to collect that info, and if we gotta have it we gotta have it.

I think phpBB pretty much already takes care of registered users, active topics, and a few other items... so I'm guessing we would just pull that info from there. We would need to add tracking for total articles/new articles, active authors, and things of that sort. I think some of this information might be helpful. I like that phpBB shows me how many people are logged on and I like that it tracks new posts since my last visit... so I can see a use for some of these stats.

The ability to track the number of visitors per hour, week, and month is pretty spiffy, but the user may already have access to stats similar to this through their webhosting company or via other means for their site (I'm pretty sure my host offers web stats).

I guess I'm just not all that excited about this piece of the puzzle. I could easily live without this functionality... but, once again, if we need it we'll include it! :)

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:49 pm

And I think "total hits" is obligatory. :D
super fun rainbow colour sig

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:44 pm

have you all seen the stats that phpee does? It's pretty cool.. i'm sure there are others out there we could grab to get features with.. but i would say page, site counters, unique visitors, browser they are using, OS, screen res, colors, who refferred them, keywords, etc.. those are all good stats to have IMO

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:46 pm

Hmmm....good features, but how will they affect the speed?

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:01 am

well we will see how they affect speed b/c i'm going to be using the system on several sites that will probably generate a few million hits a month on one server.. it says in it's docs that if you run a site with tons and tons of traffic not to use it although it doesn't put a number to it.. (i'm guess a million hits a day would probably run almost anything in the ground.. lol)

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:04 am

Well, you'll be able to test it to destruction and possibly beyond, then. ;)

KoRnholio

Post by KoRnholio » Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:54 am

I think at the bottom of every page could have some general stats for that particular page...for example "This page viewed x times since inception on mm/dd/yyyy. This page viewed x times in last 24 hours. xth most popular page on site, with x% of daily views. Last updated mm/dd/yyyy."

Being a statistical nerd, usage stats on webpages are one of my favorite things(although moreso when I'm the administrator). Another idea would be to take daily pageview averages of the past week/month/year/lifetime and compare them to the past 24 hour pageviews.

AL

Post by AL » Sat Nov 17, 2001 5:30 am

KoRnholio wrote: I think at the bottom of every page...
<snip>

this would be a template issue imo. not everyone would want this on the bottom of every page - but some would. if it uses the same functions as the stats page then they could easily be used for either.
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

devoutus

Post by devoutus » Sat Nov 17, 2001 6:45 am

i think i would be a good idead to have a user statistic where you can keep track of warnings that give to user if you have a large sight and someone brakes the rules and you don't want to ban them right then and thier you may forget si it could keep track and then if they keep doing it then you can ban them.

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Ha!

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Sat Nov 17, 2001 11:43 am

<rant>
Who said statistics are not important!!! Obviously you don't really care about your users, if you think stats are useless. Building a community is serving the community members' needs. You NEED stats on every site, that has something to do with users (login system). Those people expect something in return that they have registered at your site and they are visiting your site and not somebody elses.

Also, you cannot create ANY kind of strategy (news deployment, marketing, traget groups, community splitting (sorry, not 100% sure of the terminology in englisj) without decent statistics and a complete fill-out-at-will form with user details.

And the phpee seems not quite enough. Check out that one! It's a free counter, developed by a bulgarian company. I'm not sure you can access this site, it may have restrictions for "outside" connections, as many free bg sites do, but give it a try anyway. IMO, it doesn't slow the site a bit - I use such counters on 5, 6 or maybe 7 sites. The link above shows the stats for one of the most popular bg freemail sites.

This kind of statistics is what a portal, a community site needs, besides all the portal-based stat (view per topic, vote per poll, etc). I find Nuke's stats pathetic and useless and that's one of the many reasons I don't use it.
</rant>

We need a really good integrated statistics for the portal. One cannot rely on free counter services, and one wouldn't, if one had a decent intergated stats. :)

AL

Post by AL » Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:34 pm

i'm not saying stats aren't important... just that not everyone would want them. but technically it would be a template issue (as stated before) and so if you didn't want them on every page you could just edit the template. so those who want it can have it, those who don't, don't :)
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:41 pm

Boby, don't just rant :) I understand your points and would like to hear your ideas about the statistics we should implent.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”