***Feature Talkback: Statistics

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:55 pm

One thing I'd say is (I have no 'opinion either way') is that pulling and saving lots of stats will impact performance, how much? Depends. If someone wants lots of stats on visitors to their site I'd personally recommend one of the many webserver log analysers.

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:09 pm

dhn, sorry about that :oops:
If you check the link that I posted above, you'll see that we probably won't need any other system-related statistics, if we have those implemented.

As for the portal-related stats, I think it'll be a bit hard to make a list of stat before we have a list a features, right?:)
psoTFX wrote: If someone wants lots of stats on visitors to their site I'd personally recommend one of the many webserver log analysers.

Wait a minute, what if one hosts his portal/forum/site on a free site? Those "webserver log analysers" suppose you own the server, so you can feed apache logs to the script, right?

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:31 pm

Boby Dimitrov wrote:
psoTFX wrote:If someone wants lots of stats on visitors to their site I'd personally recommend one of the many webserver log analysers.

Wait a minute, what if one hosts his portal/forum/site on a free site? Those "webserver log analysers" suppose you own the server, so you can feed apache logs to the script, right?

I do own 'a' server but nothing 'major' runs out of it. I do use a hosting provider for pso-online.com who in turn make the logs and log analysis available, yes.
As I said, I don't really care, it's just my concern would be the overhead (particularly on busy sites) of storing the required data for each visit.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:43 pm

What about an option to turn stats on/off, or say which ones you wanted?
super fun rainbow colour sig

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:52 pm

Boby Dimitrov wrote: dhn, sorry about that :oops:
If you check the link that I posted above, you'll see that we probably won't need any other system-related statistics, if we have those implemented.

No need to apologize. I followed the URL and like what I am seeing. But this is something that has to be optional as Paul says, on bigger sites this may be very resource consuming. I would like to have that as a module. Should be easy as it does not need any of phpBB's parts.

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Sun Nov 18, 2001 12:35 am

Yes, you're right, I reconsidered and I think it would be best if it's an option. An option I'll surely turn on for my site:)

Cy

Post by Cy » Sun Nov 18, 2001 5:46 am

Ok where I think most portal systems go way wrong.. We need the scripts that all the portal systems have, but we dont need the look.. you need to take the portal scripts and apply them to your site, not apply your site to the scripts.. These scripts should help in the aid of web design. what i mean by that is it shouldn't take the creativeness out of the web and ack like phpnuke and all look the same.. The portal shouldn't looked at, it should be the usersers site that is, all the portal does is provide functionality.. So if i was going to go add the scripts to my previously made site, i would convert the .html pages to .php and beging adding the scripts features in place where i wanted them on my site. once you have certin things where you like them into YOUR design you can then go to a secret place where you can admin things like deleting certin plugins or what ever you call those site extras like BB's, shopping carts, FAQ system, BUG systems, and the like..

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:26 am

I think this is called templatablilty.
super fun rainbow colour sig

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:34 am

:) is that even a word? I think we have to write our own phpBB dictionary.
Ok, lets go back to the topic.

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:45 am

Absolutely!

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think that stats were important... just that I personally find them a little "dull".

I don't really need them for my current purposes, but I totally see how they could be a crucial element to other sites. I definately think that they should be present... I just don't have the knowledge or interest to develop them myself. :)

cwcollector

I agree: a good stats program would be a plus.

Post by cwcollector » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:46 am

I have been following this group of messages for a few days. I agree. Stats are something I use. Whether it is the bottom 10 pages I have - to increase promotion - or browser / monitor information - to alter my pages to meet the needs of my users, I used hit stats to better my site.

I have been working on a PHP script that could be ported to use a MYSQL database. I would like to help on this portion of the portal script. If done right, it could be used by itself or at a part of the portal/bb. The reason I think it would be good to be added as both is that you would be able to call it from HTML pages if needed and use that information also if you so desire.

Chuck Haislip

vandal

Post by vandal » Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:19 am

for 1.0 optionally log all data (this will probably happend in the sessions system somewhere .. which means you gotta talk to the phpBB folks)
then someone can write a tool that does something intelligent with them

again its nice that you all come up with stuff .. but its core writing time
Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time ... poo-tee-tweet

cwcollector

Stats call

Post by cwcollector » Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:58 pm

vandal wrote: for 1.0 optionally log all data (this will probably happend in the sessions system somewhere .. which means you gotta talk to the phpBB folks)
then someone can write a tool that does something intelligent with them

It would be easy to use a java call to call the stats logger and that way, those who don't want the feature don't have to record the stats. This way you can also use the call on regular HTML pages if you so desire.

Chuck

vandal

Post by vandal » Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:21 pm

come again?
Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time ... poo-tee-tweet

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”