New Poll: Which Portal do you want?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.

What would you prefer?

A Portal completly separated from phpBB (without help of the phpBB Team)?
No votes
A Portal fully dependent on phpBB (with full support of the phpBB Team)?
100%

Total votes: 22

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

New Poll: Which Portal do you want?

Post by dhn » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:21 pm

Answer the question and continue the discussion. :)

[edit:BartVB]Unstickified[/edit]

vandal

Post by vandal » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:42 pm

sorry for being such an annoying piece of *beep*

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:54 pm

Vandal :) I hope nobody thinks you are "an annoying piece of *beep*" simply because you have a different opinion. Some of your ideas sound good but they just don't fit with the opinion of the phpBB Group and most of the Community.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:56 pm

Indeed (in reference to dhn's reply), everyone is free to express their opinion (I'll just hunt down anyone that disagrees with me :D ).

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:59 pm

Wow, my vote is feeling lonely right now... and in case anybody's wondering, I'm the swear filter, sorry for the ghost edits :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:10 pm

Hah...you think you've got it bad...On boards I have admined/moderated, I've been known to edit for grammatical errors.
Anyway, about the poll, I don't think you included enough options.
super fun rainbow colour sig

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:11 pm

There are no other options ... are there?

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:14 pm

If you have ideas for a new option feel free to tell me or another Moderator. I also couldn't think of another one.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:27 pm

A portal which can run without phpbb, still uses it's code, and has support of the phpBB team.
super fun rainbow colour sig

hsim

Post by hsim » Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:35 pm

:lol:
email me: hsim at gmx.li

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn » Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:41 pm

I left that out because I am not entirely sure how the Developers think about it.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:50 pm

If it's to get our support it must include phpBB (although the admin could disable it), neither can phpBB be removed and simply replaced with an alternative board ... that's my view anyway, you'd have to ask the other developers for their opinions (I'll bet they'll be close to this).

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:52 pm

This portal with a different forum system? You've got to be kidding, right?
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:58 pm

Some others don't see it so clearly, that's the problem :)

I think the portal and the BB should just plug into each other - they should both run either independently or together, sharing various modules in a code library. Neither one should be a module of the other, they should both share coding with each other, and allow even more modules to be plugged in - say we started a phpFS (file system) project to allow the sharing of files - BB and FS could share an uploading module, PP and FS could share a file listing module, etc, etc... always think big, cuz these projects can grow much larger than you ever expect at first. I think phpBB would be the perfect example of just that, Finn has said that he never really expected the board to grow big enough to compete with the commercial products, which it easily does at this stage :)

Therefore, phpPP 1.0 and phpBB 2.2 should have simultaneous releases for this very reason - so that the central code library can be developed with everybody working together.

My two cents!
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Aristotle

A vote for option #3...

Post by Aristotle » Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:24 pm

I think that the ability to "turn off" the forums is fair, and I hope that the phpBB group does approve that option. I personally can't see myself ever using it, but it allows for the portal to be run in a "stand alone" mode.

I personally don't care to support other forums. The idea is to create a portal that seamlessly integrates with phpBB, not just to create another generic portal system.

By keeping the project 'under the umbrella' we have the resources and flow of information necessary to keep the integration seamless, and we have the voice to request features that would benefit both programs.

I think that Kanuck's idea sounds good. Actually it sounds pretty much like what we've been talking about (or at least how I've seen it so far), only with the addition of the shared library which makes the two items more independent of one another (but still exclusive to the group). Maybe I am over simplifying it, but that is how I took it.

Peace,
-- Aristotle.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”