Any progress?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:55 pm

Like I said on the onset of starting this discussion I'm going to have a ton of time to develope this software for reasons I have already stated. I have over 2 years experience of developing in php but there's always room for improvement if you as me :D I know the language pretty darn well and if I took a couple of hours and looked over the phpBB2 code I would know what is going on and how things worked. So I would love to be a developer of this software.

I do think that there should be a member from the phpBB team on this project. Maybe not coding with us but at least looking at the code etc to make sure things are going to work correctly with the two etc. IMO it would be a much more dificult task making this protal without a phpBB developer on the team. However, it still can be done!

BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB » Tue Nov 20, 2001 6:18 pm

As I already stated I need a portal for some sites I'm developing (being a freelancer). Because of this I will have the time (because I'll be paid) to work on the portal.. Furthermore I'm one of the phpBB1.x and phpBB2.x developers so I guess I know the current code pretty well :D

At the moment I'm extremely short on time, have some exams coming up that still need a lot of work and in the meantime we are trying to get phpBB2 ready for it's next release. Because of that I haven't had (and won't have) much time for the Portal but this will probably change after my exams (beginning of december).

Agree with Paul regarding the fragmentation of the Portal group.. A (smallish) team of developers is needed and some decisions will have to be made.. What is going to be the relation between the Portal and the Board project? What will be the initial features? What timeframe? How are things going to be implemented? What needs to change in the phpBB2 code? Etc.. A team of 3, 4 or (max IMO) 5 developers needs to be put together that will be able to put quite a bit of time in this project and that know how to program and work on a project as a group..
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

CuriousGeorge
Location: Insert witty comment that reveals nothing about where you live here.

Post by CuriousGeorge » Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:27 pm

OK, I have been looking at pNews for some time now, and it looks good. What I think needs to be addressed (and what I haven't seen addressed) is if something like this is really needed. Instead of trying to start a new project, why dont some people jump on board with another project that is close to what your final goals are? Now, from what I see, pNews seems pretty close to what you are tring to do, as is pSlash.

I'm not trying to be a pessimest or anything, but can your coding talents be better, and more efficiantly used in another manner?

~~Dan

BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB » Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:40 pm

Kind of offtopic but oh well :D

Reason that we are trying to get this new project going is that we want to base everything on phpBB2, at least as much as possible. IMO integration can have quite a few advantages.. Integrating an existing system with phpBB would be a huge task IMO.. BBcode, forums, database structure, users, search, user/group authentification, etc, etc..
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

CuriousGeorge
Location: Insert witty comment that reveals nothing about where you live here.

Post by CuriousGeorge » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:15 am

OK, I guess I really didn't understand the goal of this project. I've seen portal systems that use the same login info, member files, ect as phpBB and thats all I thought you were doing. :oops:

I guess the reason I brought this up is because I thought it might be faster, and I am vaer anxious for a product like this :D

~~Dan

vandal

Post by vandal » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:24 pm

well i guess if nobody else raises their arms the dev team is set :-)

and nobody needs to be turned away either ...
i suggest you all get into an irc channel an vote on a leader

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:38 pm

I've only seen two people put themselves forward so far...a little, um, small for a dev team, wouldn't you say?
super fun rainbow colour sig

vandal

Post by vandal » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:46 pm

Paul also put himself on the list ...
so all in all we got two phpBB dev's and the guy that got the discussion started

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:50 pm

I can't really do much for the portal. Glad to add 'advice' or opinion but I'm already 'lead' of phpBB 2.x development, not enough time to do much at all on any other phpBB 'Group' thing.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:50 pm

Hehe...sometimes I think the phpBB devs are just human code factories, they work so fast.. :D

AL

Post by AL » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:54 pm

i'll throw my name into the hat ;) i'm not interested in lead, but wouldn't mind being a junior dev.

let me know if you want more info...
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Kraven

Post-phpPP ...

Post by Kraven » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:55 pm

I think that I'll start an portal base on phpBB2 code, but juste for me :evil: ....

No I'm not a devil, just because I start php 2 month ago, and I'm not ready to work with php master ... of course if I find something good you'll know it

Also if phpBB developper can answer to this kestion :
Wath you need to create an empty file ?
I mean which files to include to just have a request about whos online and session ... (config.php and common.php ?)
Last edited by Kraven on Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:59 pm

No, not yet are you ready to work with php master, young one. The Dark Side holds many perils for the unwise. Beware the power of Darth Jelsoft... ;)

Faejon

Any progress?

Post by Faejon » Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:41 am

Well I am really looking forward to a phpBB Portal. I had planned to do something similar with my website but phpBB2.0 was still in too much flux for me to devote to much time to writting mods. Instead I have spent my time making hacks and mods for 1.4.x that I can then take my knowledge from writting those to making a portal when 2.0 goes gold.

Does this project have any developers yet?

Is there a project plan?

I have seen a lot of suggestions and ideas thrown out there but no real hard project plan. I really think to be realastic someone is going to have to step up and take control of this project or we are all just going to talk this into this incrediable 'monster' of a portal that will never see the light of day.

Jay are you going to lead this? Bart has suggested that he will offer what little help he can when he can. Who else you got?

I really would like to see this move from the maybe / if stage to something more concrete.
Faejon Dorunrun
Captain / Webmaster
Battle Cry of Terris-Thule

an Everquest guild

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:51 am

Okay, somebody needs to take the reins, without a doubt. I'd say we need a coordinator, or project lead, or whatever you wanna call it - you know, the guy who says what needs to be done, but only has a vague clue of how to do it - and I'd love to toss my hat into the ring for that one. ;)

I may not be the greatest PHP coder in the world, but I think I could definitely help to manage a group of developers, keep all aspects of the project organized properly, offer my ideas whenever they're wanted, deal with questions from end-users, webmasters, other open-source developers and the like, deal with the copyright-type crap (which PSO knows about all too well) so the developers could focus on making the portal, ensure that we're keeping Mom and Dad on the phpBB team happy, et cetera...

Somebody's gotta grab hold of this project and get it started. I'm offering, right here, right now, and I wanna know if that would be something that everybody here could agree with. I've been around a while, so I can take the harsh criticism - so let me hear it, is anybody gonna complain if I get this party started? :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”